Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1
    GTJim's Avatar
    Lives in Coventry, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 110. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 20 times.
    Hello. I am hoping to design and make a router for hobby use just like many have done previously on this site, and I am currently putting together a concept and these are my current thoughts.
    I am aiming for a working area of 1000mm x 1300mm (approx 3’x4’) and a Z of 130mm (5’’).
    The main frame and gantry is currently 50x50x4 steel square hollow section with 25x25x2.5 bracing for the bed. This will be bolted together unless I find a good welder.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frame1.jpg 
Views:	2295 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	4408

    The linear rails are 25mm dia for the Y axis and 20mm for the X and Z, and hoping to use a 2510 ballscrew for the Y a 1610 ballscrew for the X and 1404 ballscrew for the Z. (hope I haven’t confused the X and Y).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frame & Gantry1.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	4409

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC1.jpg 
Views:	2490 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	4410

    I would appreciate your comments and constructive criticism as the design is easily changed at this stage before any serious money is spent. This is only a hobby machine and its main use will be engraving hard wood panels and cutting out the odd speaker panel.

  2. #2
    hello first

    If you are using 25mm supported rails you will need box of 60mm and over

    plus two ballscrews as to stop the bed crabbing

    this is just the advice I have received as I'm by no means a expert

    you may want to look at Jonathan's and chips CNC machine
    James and Luke

  3. #3
    GTJim's Avatar
    Lives in Coventry, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 110. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 20 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by luke11cnc View Post
    If you are using 25mm supported rails you will need box of 60mm and over
    plus two ballscrews as to stop the bed crabbing
    James and Luke
    Hi Luke,
    I have details of a fully supported rail that has a 21mm dimension across the base. I hope it is still available.
    As for the crabbing, I was hoping by spreading the lower bearings apart as far as I did this may be avoided, but I will take the comment on board.

    Jim

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by GTJim View Post
    Hello. I am hoping to design and make a router for hobby use just like many have done previously on this site, and I am currently putting together a concept and these are my current thoughts.
    I am aiming for a working area of 1000mm x 1300mm (approx 3’x4’) and a Z of 130mm (5’’).
    The main frame and gantry is currently 50x50x4 steel square hollow section with 25x25x2.5 bracing for the bed. This will be bolted together unless I find a good welder.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frame1.jpg 
Views:	2295 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	4408

    The linear rails are 25mm dia for the Y axis and 20mm for the X and Z, and hoping to use a 2510 ballscrew for the Y a 1610 ballscrew for the X and 1404 ballscrew for the Z. (hope I haven’t confused the X and Y).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frame & Gantry1.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	4409

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC1.jpg 
Views:	2490 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	4410

    I would appreciate your comments and constructive criticism as the design is easily changed at this stage before any serious money is spent. This is only a hobby machine and its main use will be engraving hard wood panels and cutting out the odd speaker panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTJim View Post
    Hi Luke,
    I have details of a fully supported rail that has a 21mm dimension across the base. I hope it is still available.
    As for the crabbing, I was hoping by spreading the lower bearings apart as far as I did this may be avoided, but I will take the comment on board.

    Jim
    Hi Jim, the design looks cool, I notice that the side bracing for the gantry is biased towards the spindle side of the gantry is this by design, IE is the Z axis and spindle going to exert a greater downwood force than the upward force generated while cutting.

    Ive seen the crabbing or twisting of the gantry avoided by framework being added to the opposite side of the gantry to the spindle as in the commercial machines.

    These are just observations and are not supposed to imply any knowledge or special wisdom on my part.

    Oh and what software did you used to produce the pictures?

    Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

  5. #5
    GTJim's Avatar
    Lives in Coventry, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 110. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 20 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    I notice that the side bracing for the gantry is biased towards the spindle side of the gantry is this by design, IE is the Z axis and spindle going to exert a greater downwood force than the upward force generated while cutting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post

    Ive seen the crabbing or twisting of the gantry avoided by framework being added to the opposite side of the gantry to the spindle as in the commercial machines.

    Oh and what software did you used to produce the pictures?

    Rick
    Rick, I am unsure about cutting forces but I was hoping to prevent the gantry flexing back and forth while cutting. I may also add a plate to the back of the gantry between the X axis to further restrict right or left deflection.
    I just used Google SketchUp for the drawings as its quick.

    Jim

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by GTJim View Post

    Rick, I am unsure about cutting forces but I was hoping to prevent the gantry flexing back and forth while cutting. I may also add a plate to the back of the gantry between the X axis to further restrict right or left deflection.
    I just used Google SketchUp for the drawings as its quick.

    Jim
    I know its cheeky but can you send me an editable version of drawing two and i can modify it to show you what i mean..
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

  7. #7
    GTJim's Avatar
    Lives in Coventry, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 110. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 20 times.
    Rick, I've attached a zipped copy and hopefully it has worked.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by GTJim View Post
    Rick, I've attached a zipped copy and hopefully it has worked.

    Magic it worked fine, Be back in a mo..

    Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by GTJim View Post
    Rick, I've attached a zipped copy and hopefully it has worked.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	4415

    Ok ive just done enough tinkering to give you an idea, of where bracing could do with looking at.

    It may also be an idea to widen up underneath the table on the gantry just enough to stop the diagonal flex when the spindle is working at the far reaches of the gantry axis.

    I built a table router very similar to this one some time ago and that is the only real problem area i had to re-think..

    I would have put a double row but unless your stepper was on top it wont fit.. Good luck with the project i will be interested to follow your progress, its always nice to see projects from concept through to completion..

    All the best Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by GTJim View Post
    The linear rails are 25mm dia for the Y axis and 20mm for the X and Z, and hoping to use a 2510 ballscrew for the Y a 1610 ballscrew for the X and 1404 ballscrew for the Z. (hope I haven’t confused the X and Y).
    If these are profiled linear rails you dont need 25mm they will be massively over kill. 20mm will be more than enough, even 15mm will be good enough. I'm talking profiled linear thou not round supported.

    25mm ballscrew is also not recommended for a machine this size, you've probably gone with 25mm because of the 10mm pitch not being available in 20mm.
    25mm screws are large and they produce a lot more inertia which has to be stopped and accelerated this means big strong motors needed amongst over things which all make it not ideal.! . . . Bigger is not better when it comes to some things, screws being one of them.!
    At the size your looking to make 16mm is getting on the edge of being whippy thou with carefull aliagnment and sensible speeds you would be ok.
    You could go with 20mm 5mm pitch and gearing 1/2 this way you get the speed thou at the cost of a little torque. I can tell you from experience 6nm Nema 34's will handle 1/2 setup without any problem. There is an up side with 1/2 gearing as well to this if you find you ever need the extra resolution of 5mm pitch and higher torque it's a simple pulley change and away you go.

    You could go with rotating the nut but it gets a bit more involved, thou does work well if done right.

    With the steel box section frame you will also get lots of resonance which has a big affect on quality of cut esp when cutting hard materials so a big tip if you go all steel is cap the ends and fill the frame with kiln dry'd sand it makes a big difference.

    Definatly go with twin screws on the X axis it makes a very accurate strong stiff machine. Either with a motor on each screw slaved together or one motor with belt between the 2 screws.
    Dont be put off by the belts they work fine and more than good enough for the work you intend to do. I have a machine that use's this 5mm pitch 1/2 twin screw belt setup and I cut every thing from steel to plastic with it no problems and it's super accurate. Even cut cast iron with it last week for the first time without any trouble.!
    Not a pritty thing but it gets the job done and very very reliable and super accurate.

    Cheers.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Advice on Mammoth CNC Router Build - Steel Framed - 2440mm x 1220mm cutting area!
    By Wejjmeister in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 03-01-2016, 12:45 AM
  2. A Sturdy Steel Framed Machine Design
    By Boyan Silyavski in forum Machine Frames & Beds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2013, 05:58 PM
  3. BUILD LOG: Steel Framed CNC router
    By Joe in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23-06-2013, 10:45 PM
  4. BUILD LOG: Formed steel cnc router
    By sbams in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 02:00 AM
  5. BUILD LOG: My steel framed router
    By pavlo in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 10:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •