. .

Thread: Touch Probe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think you're running a little ahead of yourself and perhaps missing the point of what this is primarily meant to do. The idea is to create a profile which is then used to constrain a bed o nails type probe. How you go about creating the profile is up to you - you can skip the edge probing and draw it in CAD if you like. You just then feed that into the 3D routine. The edge probing is there to help with that if it's appropriate. You might want to try it before you think up all the reasons it "won't work" for some given situation. This routine has been in use for several years by pros all over the world from luthiers, gun stock makers, reproduction moulding manufacturers to name a tiny few.

please don't get into an argument over this.

James

James - I don't drop in often and posted a link to my FREE software in good faith and in the hope it might be useful to ANYONE in the context of the thread. It doesn't work for everyone - nor do I claim it's a magic bullet. I do think however it's neither good manners nor is it professional to start finding fault BEFORE EVEN TRYING IT.

Stirling,
    We will all be able to try it when Jonathan starts churning out these probes for £25 each, I mean for this price why mess about yourself. I don't mind him becoming a millionaire.
    John S -

I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset anyone. I was merely thinking aloud about how to use what you have kindly provided in more situations. Hopefully helping by pointing out how it can be adapted, or maybe I was stating the obvious ... I don't think I was missing the point.

I have already tried the software, with a simple switch instead of probe which did work.

If it wont do what I need, which is unlikely, I'll just write my own program and post it with the rest I've done.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 04-09-2011 at 01:22 PM.

I have found a USA supplier for stylus and bits

http://store.cmms.com/Store/Category...2%20Styli.aspx

James

if you made the touch probe centre part with Acrylic to replace the black you could add a coloured LED and that would give you a visual indicator and look quite cool what do you think ??

James

Quote Originally Posted by luke11cnc View Post
    if you made the touch probe centre part with Acrylic to replace the black you could add a coloured LED and that would give you a visual indicator and look quite cool what do you think ??
    A single LED in the side of the cylinder would be simpler. The best way, in my opinion, would be to make it out of aluminium and have a ring of acrylic half way up so that when the LED (which is concealed inside) light it's makes the whole ring glow ... and anodise it then chamfer to get colour contrast for good measure :)

Having said that this is a tool, not a iPhone. Doing all that would make it too expensive for John S.

http://www.renishawdirect.com/en/styli/A50007804.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

Having said that this is a tool, not a iPhone. Doing all that would make it too expensive for John S.

http://www.renishawdirect.com/en/styli/A50007804.aspx
    Probably :heehee:

Mind you I make a fair amounts of parts for a company that makes CCM machines, if I asked nicely they would probably give me a surplus Renishaw probe.

Don't know what I'd do with it though ? :confused:
    John S -

how many orders have you got Jonathan to date???????

I would help you pay for the materials or even pay for mine up front if you wish

James

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information