. .

Thread: where to start?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by trounce View Post
    If you could let me know if it looks ok or if its overkill with all the inner sections?
    I don't think there's really such thing as overkill for the machine bed. Strong/heavy is good. Might be easiest to leave what you have bolted as it's easier to align and wont warp.

This is my first attempt using google sketch up and I'm pretty chuffed with the outcome :tup:

If you could let me know if it looks ok or if its overkill with all the inner sections?
    Cheers
    Neill
    Good job that man.!
    Drawing accurate plans helps so much with layout and finding any un seen or unpredicted problems.

No it's not overkill at all just enough IMO. . . Thou I would have all the inner pieces running the same way, same number 3 per bay all running parallel to each other.
    This will reduce the gap between them slightly which helps when plunging.! . . .you'll be surprised how much the bed dips when plunging so the less the gaps the more ridged it will be.

Would also put some corner braces in to help with keeping it square. I know it's a bed and squareness hisn't so important because your working on it rather than to it's squareness, If ya know what I mean.!! . . .but working with everything square just helps things fit together that bit easier.! Esp when you have moved it and need to put it back together.

Keep them coming.

Edit: RE Welding. When your welding the frame don't run long beads of weld and alternate between ends. The goal is to reduce heat build up in one area so move around.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 09-09-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Little update....
    Got all the outer sections cut yesterday and welded together today, now I need to get some flat 3mm sheet for the plates to make all the removable braces.
    I was a little worried about getting the cuts perfect but you've gotta love plasma discs for perfect thins cuts

The frame all measures the same from corner to corner and the gaps between each brace is spot on so I'm pretty chuffed nothing got messed up in the welding process, only thing I was a little concerned about was the weld penetration. There seemed to be quite a lot of weld laying on top even though the welder was set to maximum.
    However I moved it all around and nothings fallen of yet so it seems to be ok :rofl:

@JAZZ - I've got 4 offcuts leftover with which I'll use to brace the four corners, when you suggested the removable braces should run the same way and said three per bay that would make 12 in total including the larger 60 x 60 pieces?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	311.9 KB 
ID:	4511

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	514.9 KB 
ID:	4512

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	419.1 KB 
ID:	4513

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	500.5 KB 
ID:	4514

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	450.2 KB 
ID:	4515

@JAZZ - I've got 4 offcuts leftover with which I'll use to brace the four corners, when you suggested the removable braces should run the same way and said three per bay that would make 12 in total including the larger 60 x 60 pieces?
    Yep thats what's required IMO 3 piece's, thou it's not much more material than the way you had it in squares.
    Don't under build the bed for the sake of bit extra steel, If you must use less steel then at least drill the holes ready and add it later. (Thou before you start using it or never will get fitted.!)

Looking good. . . keep the pics flowing and we'll turn a blind eye to any chicken shit runs we see. .:lol:

Its been a while since I've managed to get any more work done on the bed but its now almost finished.
    It took me forever to cut all the damn brackets and then drill and tap all the holes but thankfully that tedious job is over and done with :tup:

Just a bit of tidying up on a few of the welds that ended up looking pretty dire and then to give it all a nice coat of paint.

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	511.5 KB 
ID:	4683

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	436.1 KB 
ID:	4684

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information