. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Location unknown. Last Activity: 23-12-2012 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 10.
    Popping my posting cherry! :heehee:

Would be very interested to hear from people on their experiences with the Z90 series of machines from Routout. I am aware of the existing closed thread which details one user's experience, but would appreciate alternate views.

As a guide, I'm considering the machine for engraving and cutting 3mm ali panels for 19" rack mount applications, foam cutting, and basic (very basic) pcb prototyping.

All info gratefully accepted.

Steve

Location unknown. Last Activity: 23-12-2012 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 10.
    Anybody?!?

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    i've spoken to them on the phone and they seem very helpful.

Hello i2i. How do you find the machine?

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    OK I'll put my head above the parapet then :heehee:

I've not had any experience with them, only looked the web site. and I'm only going to say that IMHO they seem quite expense for what you get. Small table top Ali frame with belt drive and what looks like igus rails, and from what I cant tell only 12v stepper drivers.

So you might want to ask:
    1. what type are the belts? standard or anti backlash? (repeatability)
    2. are the linear bearings friction or rolling element? (wear issues)
    3. power spec for stepper drive (occasional heavier work, upgrade to bigger spindle)
    4. resolution ( at least 0.1mm for pcbs if not better)

If all the answers suit your requirements and its all within your budget then give it a try and let us know.:naughty:

As a final note, I presume you don't want to build one yourself which means that you are sensible and want to just get on and use the machine for your hobbies and not spend years build the damm thing like I'm doing....:nope: Also the problems occurred last year (or more) and they are still in business so they must be doing something right

I suppose what Im trying to say is just ask all the questions now to make sure it suits your requirements

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ross77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the reply Ross. Some interesting observations there, and some questions to add to my list. I'm going to pop across to their base next week and have a look, so will be able to ask in person.

Yes, you're quite correct, I want to buy prebuilt with warranty otherwise it just ain't gonna happen! Keen to crack on with some projects that require custom front panels. There are a few pictures of panels on their website that have been made with their machines and they look plenty good enough to me. Specs say 0.1mm accuracy and there is a YouTube video of a pcb being milled, and though it's not a particularly impressive board it seems to work.

Intrigued by your comments on price. This seemed to be the cheapest prebuilt gantry out there, and the other option I'm looking at is Exel CNC, which has better components but is also over twice the price for a similar table size. Do you have any suggestions for where else I ought to be looking? All advice gratefully received.

If, when and wherever I purchase, I will definitely post a newbie user thread... should be amusing reading for you old pro's if nothing else!!!

EDIT: SPaG.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by scjb View Post
    Hello i2i. How do you find the machine?
    ? which machine

Mmmm. Some good sound advice above! No experience with these machines, belts are pretty good these days but vary under load = careful tool path planning and gentle, gentle. Ball screws, depending what you pay for them, can have linearity and repeatibility to microns. There's nothing wrong with a stiff repeatable machine with an accuracy of 0.1, if you know it really is 0.1 steps. My machines a stepper on the z and about 0.1 accuracy as well, tried a pcb but you need to go through to 0.25 - 0.3 to be sure tracks are clean, assuming the bed is in fact flat. The last thing you want is perfect pcb with the top left corner shorting because it's a thou high. Is the 0.1 based on the stepper / mechanical performance. Steppers are good at going to one repeatable point, They don't do the in between bits. And all machines bend a bit under load as do tools! But, as a first thing, you could mill yourself a flat bed to start with which will be at the stepper step, if you see what I mean? With a nice straight edge to align too? If the bed is "flat" but 1/2 a step out then you're accuracy can only ever be 0.15mm? You can cut 0.05 and 0.015 but never 0.1 +- 0.1. Then then beds aligned to the head and your accuracy will leap? I mean 0.1 steps but each step within 0.001 of where it should be and repeatable, I think this is what you need to know from them. You're gona be so pleased when you make you 1st pcb and it works!
    Sherline lathe, Chester DB11V lathe, Myford/ Rodney mill, CNC mill Isel/ home made, Sealy Hack Saw, Meddings Pillar drill.

Ive got their smaller machine but its the accurate one, their customer service is very good and the machine is built well the only thing I am having problems with is it seems the Z axis is running out but I think its to do with the base. I use my machine to mill PCBs. I would say its good for wood etc but I tired to mill aluminium and its completly useless for it. The Z axis plate that the router mounts to is plastic so it flexs to much to mill any metals.

Sorry to claify as what you want I think it will do everything except cut your panels out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information