. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    Not understanding the question, I've not done anything yet, I'm at the preliminary stage asking for ideas/info how to drill a long thin hole :naughty:- where does the truss rod fit into this line of thinking?!
    I'd guess the question relates to making use of what is already there - there might be a way of using the existing hole and extending it enough to fit the wires?

I have this mental image now of trying to thread a wiresaw down the truss hole in order to cut a small v-notch for the wires, and I'm breaking a sweat just thinking of all the horrible ways that could go wrong :confused:

Not understanding the question, I've not done anything yet, I'm at the preliminary stage asking for ideas/info how to drill a long thin hole :naughty:- where does the truss rod fit into this line of thinking?!
    Errrrm? i may be missunderstanding what you are trying to do.... i was assuming you where looking for a way to run your wiring from your fret inlayed LED lights to your guitar body and im thinking you already have a cavity in the neck running its full length directly under you fret inlays except for your 12th fret, im also assuming that the cavity is a U shape because of the way its manufactured and just maybe ther is enough room to run your wiring alongside the tension rod

You're understanding my final goal ....but I didn't understand your question about me having access to the truss rod (which suggested I already had my guitar here in pieces) ....I was talking in general - obviously there's a truss rod in every guitar neck, but not being a truss rod expert (or neck expert), I have no idea how much space there is between the top of it (assuming the guitar is lying on its back) & the fretboard rear 'face'.

Does anyone know if there's typically a 'void' there already? (ie a gap between the truss rod & the fretboard)...these would be thin wires, though quite a few of them - about 11 wires in fact)

You're understanding my final goal ....but I didn't understand your question about me having access to the truss rod (which suggested I already had my guitar here in pieces) ....I was talking in general - obviously there's a truss rodd in every guitar neck, but not being a truss rod expert (or neck expert), I have no idea how much space there is between the top of it (assuming the guitar is lying on its back) & the fretboard rear 'face'.
    im no expert on them myself.... my understanding has it that the slot will have been cut with a ball nose type cutter and the truss rod will be a pretty snug fit except that when you add the fret board there will be some space left in the two upper corners of that U shaped slot that the fret board now covers

the reason i asked if you could still get the truss rod out is if there is enough room you will still have the problem of threading those wires, if the rod comes out it should be possible

I thought a typical truss rod could only be removed by taking off the fretboard? (which is what I'm trying to avoid doing)

I thought a typical truss rod could only be removed by taking off the fretboard? (which is what I'm trying to avoid doing)
    iv an acoustic that looks like its non removable and iv a jackson with a straight through neck, iv not explored how thats done

im pretty sure (if my memory serves me) i had a jap strat that had a stopper nut at one end and was ajusted at the machine heads so im pretty sure that one would have come out

its worth exploring though if your going to make a few.... im pretty sure it would save some serious heart ache if you could find a way around drilling the full length

Truss rods are quite often fairly embedded in the neck,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrK-DVFFw4g (a series of 8 videos how to repair a broken one!)

but I concur, that if I can utilise any opportunities that existing channel presents, it's gotta be the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    iv an acoustic that looks like its non removable and iv a jackson with a straight through neck, iv not explored how thats done

im pretty sure (if my memory serves me) i had a jap strat that had a stopper nut at one end and was ajusted at the machine heads so im pretty sure that one would have come out

its worth exploring though if your going to make a few.... im pretty sure it would save some serious heart ache if you could find a way around drilling the full length
    Now i may be way off here but a distant memory 20yrs + (When i was the Owner/Proprieter of workhouse rehearsal and recording studio.) I saw a truss rod taken out and i remember asking why it was bent, and was told that some are as it puts a spring in it.. so maybe that is why it is hard to remove when the tension is off??

And no i dont know anything about music as i didnt need too!!

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Truss rods are quite often fairly embedded in the neck,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrK-DVFFw4g (a series of 8 videos how to repair a broken one!)

but I concur, that if I can utilise any opportunities that existing channel presents, it's gotta be the way to go
    you learn something every day :) i allways assumed the truss rod was a single rod.... youve got your work cut out there trying to work around one of those in the video :(

i think i would sooner make a neck from scratch than go through all that pain of stripping one... now the drilling looks a bit less desprate

i think i would still try my best not to drill... what about removing the frets and cutting a funky (strategic) pattern in the fretboard and bonding the wiring behind an inlay ??

can LEDs be run in series ? how thin could you go with wiring ?

im going to have nightmares about drilling tonight:lol:

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    can LEDs be run in series ? how thin could you go with wiring ?
    Neither! I'm running out to 12 leds individually (this allows for some funky VU meter & knight rider type patterns!) ...the wire will be very thin though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information