. .
    Hi folks, found this great site last week, some great knowledge and skill out there. I am designing a small CNC mill for my garage, hopefully sturdy enough to manage some cast iron and Ali machining. Got a bit of CNC usage, was application engineer for west german cnc milling machine builder, lot of Siemens 840D programming experience, some fanuc, Gibbscam, solidworks and autocad. Totally off the tools now but just turned 40 and felt the need to have myself a machine. Be prepared for daft questions, i apologise now, as I have no drive setup / electronic experience to draw upon. Keep up the good work

Hello and welcome
    lots of very clever people on this site.

I'm not one of them but welcome all the same

James & Luke

well after an hour or two reading some interesting posts, im still struggling to find some good info on the electrical elements required in atypical build and their setup. Ive ordered a book, "build your own cnc machine machine" so hope this will answer my questions, can anyone link me to a tutorial suggestin BOM and maybe schematic diagram for a typical elec. installation. Sorry if im sounding a bit thick, have no worries specing, designing and making the mechanicals, but control is something i have only used, not installed :-)

Thanks in advance.

Hi grs, these might be of interest, unlikely they are directly applicable to what you'll build!, but it might help :-)

www.robocnc.nl/shared/electronics/RoboElectronix2_v2.pdf

www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf

edit;
    If these links are still playing up, try copy and paste.
    Last edited by mocha; 15-09-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: clean www links

grs2000,
    just post your questions about the various bits you need help with and I'm sure you will get some help. Wiring will alter a bit with your design and what kit you decide you will need but for the most part will be similar to most designs.

Ian

Thanks folks! my book have arrived "build your own CNC machine" its answered a few questions, ive an idea of the package needed now. Im off to india with work tomorrow with 2 long flights and solidworks on the laptop! I'll leave this thread now, see you on the build blogs in a few weeks!!

have a good trip

James

Thread Information