. .

Thread: "DeusEx"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    There's been no updates for a while as I've been assimilating Jonathans reading list! LOL. Thanks to everyone who has helped, guided, suggested and corrected my understanding. I've progressed from not knowing what I don't know to knowing enough to know I don't know enough!

The design is done, I've put the crayons away, the fiddling with it over and now it's time to get some parts to fill it! So with a little luck I'll come back in a couple of weeks with some goodies and get cracking with it. Next target will be getting the frame parts machined and assembled and the unit constucted by the end of November!

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    The design is done, I've put the crayons away, the fiddling with it over and now it's time to get some parts to fill it! So with a little luck I'll come back in a couple of weeks with some goodies and get cracking with it. Next target will be getting the frame parts machined and assembled and the unit constucted by the end of November!
    Cmon then lets see the doodle's.!!

lol, I'm just heading out the door right now, but I'll try and upload something later! :-)

here's an early version of the frame! :heehee::heehee:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3842885826_2fb887f290_o.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	4758
    Last edited by mocha; 20-10-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC 2.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	807.7 KB 
ID:	4762doodle attached, front view.

well that was an interesting trip! lol, she seemed to think that wandering around markets looking for engineering bits did not form a constructive part of something called a "hol-i-day-to-geth-er"... what ever that is... didn't stop her raiding the fake handbag shop for all her friends though!
    I only managed to bag some Kinco drivers before I was reeled in. I do get to go again on my own and I can meander through some of the most amazing product sellers I've ever seen. Imagine everything in the RS and farnell catalogs in a 9 storey building... and someone removed the index! lol, I spent a half day there and didn't get to see all of just one floor. I did see some other stuff there too, a big wall with a roof and a bigger wall on the top of a mountain and a house with 999 rooms... and about 2 miles between each of them. other than that, an amazing place, looking forward to going there again.

STILL awaiting my first delivery of bits, which are not due to arrive until the end of the month... :-(

I found a friend of a friend who fabricates for a living (and builds race cars in his spare time) and with some back scratching for a mutual 3rd friend he's agreed to look at the design from a fabbing point of view, the good news is that not only did he like what he saw, he's going to weld it for me, he can probably find me a good price for the metals too.

There's a couple of small changes he suggested to the way two of the corners are designed, in order to make it easier to weld up squarely, but otherwise it's looking good.

At the moment, I have one guy who will do the machining of the steel parts, another guy who will weld it all together, an assortment of advisors spread over 3 continents and a number of suppliers who are in the process of "supplying". One supplier who has let me down badly and one supplier who has been an absolute star and a number that are just dragging their small oriental feet!

LOL, This is turning into a international project management tutorial rather than a CNC build! :)
    Last edited by mocha; 17-11-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Quick update on this slow moving build!

The good news is that the parts aquired list is getting longer! but the bad news is that the 900+ revisions of this design is not going to make it work. :-( Building a scale model exposed a major problem in the assembly phase. Which probably explains why I'd not seen others of that type of design. So, onto the mark 5.5! Nothing too ambitious this time. Fixed gantry and rotating head with 6 linear actuators to move the bed.

<grin>

I'm shopping!

I'm shopped!
    :-)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information