. .
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Assembled the spindle last night...well tried to anyway! Found that the Belleville washers don't compress much so you have to be careful how many you use otherwise you load the bearings too much.

Went to assemble it and put the motor bell back on and was putting the last bolt in when I noticed that it was a bit stiff. I bought a pack of 5 off SS 40mm long M4 bolts and on the first assembly used 4 and then obviously used the spare bolt when doing the final assembly. Took the offending bolt out and noticed that the first thread was damaged so I've only gone and flipping cross threaded 1/3 of one of the motor mounting holes grrrrrrr.......got to find my tap now and see if I can re-tap it and clean things up. Failing that I'll drill the cross threaded bits out and just use the rest of the thread with lots of threadlock!!

Will get it up and running tonight and power it from my Trex 500 for a test as I've not got the power supply and ESC for it yet.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Had the spindle running tonight, coupled it up to my Trex 500 esc...it works!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351886349.113538.jpg 
Views:	679 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	7295

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yaSp...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by njhussey; 02-11-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Mark, you've got some smaller spindles haven't you? How have you done them? I want to make a smaller powered one but one that runs much quicker to cut balsa, but on looking the smallest shank of an ER11 collet holder is 8mm and I don't want to be messing around turning the shank down to 5 or 4mm if I can help it!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    How have you done them?
    Look for motor with 1/8" shaft, buy 1/8" shank cutter, replace shaft with cutter...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Look for motor with 1/8" shaft, buy 1/8" shank cutter, replace shaft with cutter...
    Cheers Jonathan, I looked at that but I was looking to do one if possible where I can change the tool without having to remove it from the motor. I was having a look to see if there was anything out there like a pin vice that could be used but thought I'd float the question.

I've got a Proxxon E50 that I was originally going to use but thought I'd go back down the brushless motor route.
    Neil...

Build log...here

I was having a look to see if there was anything out there like a pin vice
    Runout

You might be able to do something like drill and ream/bore a 1/8" hole and hold the cutter in with a grubscrw. The force on the cutter will be very small, so it should hold perfectly well.

I was having a look to see if there was anything out there like a pin vice that could be used but thought I'd float the question.
    I've scoured the earth looking for a good quality pin vice type thing... it drove me up the wall... i even did a search for ER3 collets lol ... alas... there is no such thing :(
    I considered making my own but that is now on my "things to do in the next life list"

give us a shout if you find anything "posh"
    i'm pretty sure it would cost a bomb if you find anything of quality out there
    its a dam shame

I'm rapidly coming to the same conclusion Mark...there are pin vices out there that could be used but as Jonathan says...runout! Saying that for my balsa needs I could live with 0.25mm.

Saying that I've been thinking of going down the DIY laser route today. Could make a real lightweight router then ;)
    Neil...

Build log...here

Looks like ER8 is the smallest:
    New Straight Milling Shank C10 ER8 100L Collet Chuck | eBay

The thing to do is have a go at making your own ER8 or ER11 collet chuck.

going down the DIY laser route today. Could make a real lightweight router then ;)
    I'd love to see a router made with a laser...

Might have a look at making my own collet chuck to take the Proxxon collets...but there again I might just as well use my Proxxon :)
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information