. .
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Just been trying (and I stress trying!!!) to do some machining of my lead screws in my lunch break...think I'll get someone else to do it! The jaws are worn and it takes ages to get them to clamp so it spins true and I had to shim the cutting tool so it was somewhere near the correct height...results of 3/4 hr below lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319721080.539661.jpg 
Views:	1094 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	4778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319721108.902379.jpg 
Views:	910 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	4779  
    Neil...

Build log...here

Just been trying (and I stress trying!!!) to do some machining
    owch!
    you need to hassle your gaffer to let you do a nip n tuck on that lath

it might cut alli a bit better than that (fingers crossed)

what outside diameter are you going for on your bearing housing ?
    i went for 43mm so that if it all didnt work out with my brushless spindles i could just drop a kress into the 43mm clamp..... its worth doing some research because if i was starting again i think would go slightly larger than 43mm to avoid an issue whereby the brushless motor mounting screws (on the larger motor) clash with the 43mm di making it a bitch to simply drill all the way through or cut a flange to mount the housing to the motor (i think the 10mm shafted motor mounting screws are 22mm from the centre)

its worth thinking about because if i had gone 50mm as a standard for all my spindles life might have been a little more simple

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HS4.JPG 
Views:	13996 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	4786
    i ended up turning the 50mm one down to 43mm to match the other two

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    owch!
    you need to hassle your gaffer to let you do a nip n tuck on that lath

it might cut alli a bit better than that (fingers crossed)
    hmmm I'll try one (need to buy a boring bar as don't have one) and see what happens. From the finish I got you'd have thought I'd stuck it in a drill and used a file!!

what outside diameter are you going for on your bearing housing ?
    i went for 43mm so that if it all didnt work out with my brushless spindles i could just drop a kress into the 43mm clamp..... its worth doing some research because if i was starting again i think would go slightly larger than 43mm to avoid an issue whereby the brushless motor mounting screws (on the larger motor) clash with the 43mm di making it a bitch to simply drill all the way through or cut a flange to mount the housing to the motor (i think the 10mm shafted motor mounting screws are 22mm from the centre)

its worth thinking about because if i had gone 50mm as a standard for all my spindles life might have been a little more simple

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HS4.JPG 
Views:	13996 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	4786
    i ended up turning the 50mm one down to 43mm to match the other two
    Weeeeell....as it happens I've bought 50mm rounds so was going to stick to that...got to see if they've got the external jaws first else I'll get one of our local friendly machinists to make it...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Got my 2" Ali pieces today, too late to do any machining in my lunch break but might come in early tomorrow to have a play :naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    iv used cheep skate bearing in my ER C8 spindle... iv used belleville washers to put some tention between the two outer races.... i havnt had to change them yet but it only gets light use
    Mark, where did you get your belleville washers from? Was going to stick a couple in between my single row AC bearings?

Name:	2 in ali.JPG 
Views:	936 
Size:	361.6 KB 
ID:	4791  
    Neil...

Build log...here

I'll have to wait until I get the motor for the through mounting hole dimensions but was thinking of something along these lines.....

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320073785.775730.jpg 
Views:	3449 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	4792  
    Neil...

Build log...here

Mark, where did you get your belleville washers from? Was going to stick a couple in between my single row AC bearings?
    eeeerrrr, dunno?? pretty sure i got them on ebay.... i just did a search and they are all coming up USA which is a bit of a bind, iv got some left (8.2mm inside 18.9mm outside diameter) so measure the distance your going to have between your bearings ill send you enough to fit that gap (n youll owe me a favour ... its not the washers, its the dragging my arse over to the post office that youll owe me for )

iv used 12 washers and compressing them about 0.5mm (very light, less than 1kg) i guess you could be a little more aggressive with those A/C bearings but im not sure to what advantage ?? id play it safe and keep it light... if you get any signs of movement slop chatter add a shim etc.

I've found some at Bellville Springs...Part code: D18842
    Price: £10.33 per 100 pcs, Postage: £5.50 with a min order charge of £15...could always flog the rest on fleabay lol.

I think I've left a 3mm gap between the bearings atm but am open to suggestions!
    Neil...

Build log...here

I think I've left a 3mm gap between the bearings atm but am open to suggestions!
    your not going to get many washers in there

id try to get them a little further apart so you can get at least a few pairs of washers twixed

i know its a bit late now but if i was starting from scratch id use up the full length of the ER shaft
    i didnt do this on mine, i have 22mm of shaft protruding out of the motor bell, i could have made the bearing bell 22mm longer utilsing the theoretical extra stability however the best performing spindle i have only has one double row A/C at the nose so i guess the diffrence may be negligible for our aplication

the new ER20 with two double row is suffering with resonance when cutting quite hard at the moment, something is rolling or skidding in there.
    that should stop when i do my final strip and loctite.... errr.... maybe
    Last edited by blackburn mark; 31-10-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Well if I'm going to use the ER16 x 8mm (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ER16-8MM-S...item19c9b3098b) then I've got 100mm of shaft to play with. The motor I'm proposing to use (http://www.giantcod.co.uk/xyh5065-32...-p-404606.html) is an XYH 50-65 so 50mm dia and 65mm long, that only leaves me 35mm to play with. If I have a 5mm cap/lid (whatever) and leave 3mm at the back I'll have 28mm to house the bearings (7mm wide each) and the belleville washers so I'll have 14mm to fill up....better or too much?

Getting into Google Sketchup now, but takes a long time to draw anything as my laptop is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww..........

Name:	Spindle with ER16.jpg 
Views:	1942 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	4793  
    Neil...

Build log...here

so I'll have 14mm to fill up....better or too much?
    sounds better to me :)

Getting into Google Sketchup now, but takes a long time to draw anything as my laptop is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww..........
    worth it though... when im designing something with production in mind i can spend hours just looking at the same drawing to see if it can be stream lined or knock some of the pain out of production and make it look posh etc etc etc....

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information