. .
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    worth it though... when im designing something with production in mind i can spend hours just looking at the same drawing to see if it can be stream lined or knock some of the pain out of production and make it look posh etc etc etc....
    Certainly is I find it usefull for visualising what somethign is going to look like. Gives you an idea whether it's going to work or not. Also use it at work to draw 3D (without having to get the DO involved) pics of what I'm quoting. Just starting to build up a library of standard parts. Slow progress tho as it has to be done in lunchtimes etc and I'm still trying to get into it....
    Neil...

Build log...here

Went to play with the lathe at lunch and was greeted with it in this state... Bloody hairy arsed fitters. Spent lunch cleaning and setting the tailstock up as it was miles out...never got to do any cutting!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320257059.103928.jpg 
Views:	1166 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	4805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320257083.083678.jpg 
Views:	1087 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	4806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320257099.790182.jpg 
Views:	1058 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	4807  
    Neil...

Build log...here

Lives in Shropshire, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 28-01-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 31. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.

Hi Guys
    I havedesigned and made a brushless spindle as well but my design is a big biggerthan most (overkill really) it has a FAG angular contact double row on thebottom and FAG standard bearing on the top with a 20mm shank ER16 collet chuckfrom ebay.

I waswondering what people use for the power supply as I fund that my 15Amp batterycharger doesn’t provide enough power.
    The picture shows a drill chuck but that is being held by the ER16 chuck because i did not have the right size collet
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA300139.jpg 
Views:	7995 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	4816
    Joe

Nowhere near as big as mine :)

What motor did you use...what power? Doesn't it accept more than 12v (assuming the battery charger you're using is 12v)?

A toroidal transformer (eBay) plus rectifier and some good low ESR caps would do nicely, but you might find it needs to be a bit large. Another option is a switching power supply ... which isn't cheap either unless you use old ATX (computer) power supplies. If it's 12V then just use one, if not you can put them in series - but check that they're isolated first to prevent fireworks.

My next spindle is going to have 2 or 3 motors 3kW motors on the same shaft, ER-20 up to 27000rpm (ish) and oil cooled. That's the only way I can work out to get the required rpm range and torque without rewinding (which I might need to do anyway). Wye/delta switching plus something else to get more torque options). Bought the motors a couple of days ago. Going to use FEA to model the friction due to oil cooling and optimise it ... then proceed.
    Anyway, the relevant bit for you is I'm going to use 2 (or 4, depends) ATX PSUs in series, to get about 1kw input power, with a 3Ah Lipo battery placed in parallel, to take care of current peaks, as close as possible to the ESC (to minimise impedance). Will also replace the electrolytic capacitors on the ESC (which will be incorporated into the oil cooling) to an array of low impedance ones as that will make the ESC run a lot cooler.

Hope you're not milling with that chuck, or spinning it as fast as that motor might go.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 06-11-2011 at 05:50 PM.

I fund that my 15Amp batterycharger doesn’t provide enough power.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-30A-36...item231493182c

i bought somthing like this for mine, iv not tripped it out once so far

My next spindle is going to have 2 or 3 motors 3kW motors on the same shaft, ER-20 up to 27000rpm (ish)
    on your router ?... i cant imagine a router making use of so much power, youve got me thinking cutting wood at high speed must soak up the spindle watts

i only ever cut alli and plastics and iv never needed any more than 360W... my top speed is only 1500mm though wich i guess is not worth getting out of bed for in "Jonathan world " :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    [FONT=Arial]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-30A-36...item231493182c

i bought somthing like this for mine, iv not tripped it out once so far
    Not bad, but a fiver down the car boot should get you a computer power supply which will deliver at least that. Just put a resistor on the +5V rail (google it) to keep it on and stable.

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    on your router ?... i cant imagine a router making use of so much power, youve got me thinking cutting wood at high speed must soak up the spindle watts ]
    Wood does with a good size cutter, but that's not the reason as I hardly ever cut wood an no DIY router is rigid enough to use that much power. Why use plywood when you can use 3/4" aluminium
    It's for my friend from school who I will be helping (well, letting him use my router - he doesn't need help) build a smaller rigid machine to be used mainly for cutting aluminium and occasionally steel (hopefully)...knowing him probably titanium too. Anyway, the reason for that much power and the whole coil switching thing is to be able to get lots of torque at low rpm, which is useful for drilling/facing among other things. I don't expect to use anywhere near the full rated power of the motors.

Top speed 1500, mm/min? Is that rapid speed or top speed you use when cutting?

Top speed 1500, mm/min? Is that rapid speed or top speed you use when cutting?
    owch!!! you buggar! kick a man while he is down lol ..... errrr... thats rapid, i am "slowly" coming around to the idea that a little more speed might help (what did it cost you for your drivers ???? and would i need to swap my 57BYGH76-401A steppers current 2.8A ???)

It's for my friend from school who I will be helping (well, letting him use my router - he doesn't need help) build a smaller rigid machine to be used mainly for cutting aluminium and occasionally steel (hopefully)...knowing him probably titanium too.
    youve got to do a log on that jonathan!! :)

Lives in Shropshire, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 28-01-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 31. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    The motor is a Thumper 5055, 10.8-29.6V, 1280 watts and 580 KV

Yes the motor does accept more voltage but the charger was the only thing that I had on hand. My Grandpa has an ex-school lab transformer that is 12v,100A which once rectified should provide more than enough power . I just need to find theright sort of low ESR caps, could you recommend any?

Do you think that if I up the current that the motor will be more powerfulor will I also need to up the voltage and use a different supply?

My spindle ESC also gets quite hot after running for more than about 15 mins as well, but nothing excessive. The spindle however gets very hot after beingrun for about 25 mins, I think that I will need to devise some sort of watercooling but I am going to try bigger and more fins and a fan first. The projec tis also my Product design coursework at collage so a big thank you for all your advice

Thank you blackburn mark for the ebay power supply I needed something like that for my audio set up and at that price you can't go wrong so I have ordered one
    Last edited by Joe; 14-11-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Bought a turning tool last week and did some turning of my second piece at lunch....much better results.

Got to buy a boring tool now as some ijit used it and has knackered it. Getting there slowly...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320767123.805563.jpg 
Views:	823 
Size:	762.3 KB 
ID:	4838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320767145.137231.jpg 
Views:	697 
Size:	779.8 KB 
ID:	4839  
    Neil...

Build log...here

Now thats more like it

your already on your second peice of alli ???? owch :rofl: no pressure then

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information