. .
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Might have a look at making my own collet chuck to take the Proxxon collets...but there again I might just as well use my Proxxon :)
    ahhh, yes... but will it run at 48000rpm :)

Erm....no 20,000 is it's limit. What you running a 4000kV motor??!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Erm....no 20,000 is it's limit. What you running a 4000kV motor??!!
    eerm, yea its 4000kv but I tend not to run it passed 20000rpm if I'm honest... it might be fine flat out but I don't like it :)
    iv got tons of spare bearings so I should go for glory and the fun of science and run it till it grinds to a halt but I never do

On my next spindle I'm going to cut the housing in layers (done on the Router) and have some water cooling to keep things cool. Looking at work to see what the smallest air blast cooler I can get is...

I've got lots of bearings too, comes from having lots as spares for the RC helis ;)
    Neil...

Build log...here

air blast cooler
    sounds posh ?
    what is it ?

Basically a car radiator with fan and motor, like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352419286.330371.jpg 
Views:	848 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	7356
    Neil...

Build log...here

Basically a car radiator with fan and motor, like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352419286.330371.jpg 
Views:	848 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	7356
    now that is POSH!
    splendid :)

Hello folks,

Many thanks for sharing all this info, it has inspired me to build a spindle based on a 5045 motor & ER11 8mm spindle :-) I have a couple of questions though which I hope arn't too simple !!

- The bearing arrangement is along the lines of: for the chuck/housing interface a pair of Angular Contact (AC) bearings with 4 pre-load washers between them? And for the housing/motor interface a standard roller bearing? Where would be a good place to buy the AC bearings with matching pre-load washers (either UK or eBay).... any spec available so I know what to ask for?
    - I'm guessing the AC bearing assembly needs to sit proud of the housing before the cover plate clamps it all in place - how much of the bearing should be proud?
    - I am looking at 24V power supplies and wondering if I need to have one large power supply to run both the NEMA17 steppers and the spindle of if I should really split this into 2 suppies with about 5A @ 24V for the steppers and 20A @ 24V for the spindle?

Thanks for any tips :-)

belleville washers
    708a bearings, these are a bitch to find at the moment so a search for magneto bearings would be my second choice

I'm sure mine has about 1kg of tension (on standard skate bearings) still runs ok but doesn't get used much compared to the larger ones... if your going to hammer it to death angular contacts makes sense and would need even less tension/pre-load than the skate bearings to perform the same task

I run all my spindles at 12v (350w power supply... its never tripped)
    the 100A ESC gets pretty hot but the motors are fine at that
    if your cutting wood and need the extra speed you will have to stick your neck out and let us know how you get on

I'm guessing the AC bearing assembly needs to sit proud of the housing before the cover plate clamps it all in place
    mine was about 1mm proud... maybe a touch less

bearings with 4 pre-load washers between them?
    i think there is 8 or 10 in mine, so with only 4 you want to be approx 0.5mm proud or less, it depends on your washers

you could get really technical and do the maths but you would need to know your typical cutting force triple it, pray to the moon god and add some fairy dust :)

having at least some tension stops the bearings skidding and self destructing but if your cutting force or resonance overcomes the tension you will get a shit finish
    Last edited by blackburn mark; 18-02-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks for getting back to me Mark, much apprecited.

The Magneto Bearing looks ideal and avoids the need to install belleville washers by the looks of it? If going down this route would I use one magneto bearing between the chuck and housing and one standard bearing between the housing and motor?

I am hoping to cut wood but perhaps starting with an old computer ATX power supply will let me feel my way into the power question - sounds like this might be waht you are using.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information