. .
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the info Mark I'll have a look at that one. Instead of cheap skate bearings could I not use a single double row AC bearing, would I have to pre-tension it? Saying that I've skate bearings coming out of my ears as I'm planning on using them as the linear bearings on all my axis ;) The only problem I can see for me is making the bearing housing, I looked at our lathe this morning and the tooling is crap as it's only used to take the raised face off flanges etc, not sure when it last had a service either. Will get some Ali bar offcut and have a play I think. Hope it's ok as I was planning on machining my leadscrews on it!
    Neil...

Build log...here

From a quick search on tinternet it seems that most double row angular contact bearings seem to start at 10mm ID so looks like its the skate bearing route for me...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Yes I looked for a while for 8mm angular contact bearings but only found one supplier, on eBay in america and not cheap. That was for single row, couldn't find any double row that size.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/708A-8mm-S...0#ht_560wt_905

I wouldn't expect normal bearings to last long if you're drilling ... but nobody really cares as they're so cheap.

Also you can get ER16 collet chucks with 8mm shank:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_4690wt_1080

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Saying that I've skate bearings coming out of my ears as I'm planning on using them as the linear bearings on all my axis ;)
    That's slightly worrying - depends how you go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    ...making the bearing housing, I looked at our lathe this morning and the tooling is crap as it's only used to take the raised face off flanges etc...
    Poor workman blames his tools :whistling:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Yes I looked for a while for 8mm angular contact bearings but only found one supplier, on eBay in america and not cheap. That was for single row, couldn't find any double row that size.

I wouldn't expect normal bearings to last long if you're drilling ... but nobody really cares as they're so cheap.
    I'm only cutting balsa and ply to start with so they will do, but then for the little extra it would cost might be worth getting a larger motor and 10mm spindle?
    Also you can get ER16 collet chucks with 8mm shank:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_4690wt_1080
    Looks good, will give more tooling options later on...

That's slightly worrying - depends how you go about it.
    Going down the skate-o-rail option or might just do a quick and dirty joe2006 type to get it up and running...yes I know, i know, i know but I'm doing it on the tightest budget I can and will then upgrade to supported rail etc when I can afford it.

Poor workman blames his tools :whistling:
    Well they're not my tools...but will put an order into RDG for some new ones....unless one of you two fancies giving me a price for making the bearing holder????
    Last edited by njhussey; 26-10-2011 at 06:07 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

I maintain there's a tidy little sideliness/embryonic business for someone with the nous to start supplying these brushless spindles in decent numbers to the hobbyist CNC market.

At the minute a CNC hobbyist is faced with Dremel (eeugh) proxxon (nicer but feeble) ...then a leap up to something like kress (good but probably a bit too loud for most...and the price is starting to get chunky).

I reckon if you could knock these out somewhere in between the Proxxon price level (about £90) & Kress level (£150?) ...there'd be good steady demand.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    I maintain there's a tidy little sideliness/embryonic business for someone with the nous to start supplying these brushless spindles in decent numbers to the hobbyist CNC market.
    I'd happily make lots of them, but I've not got time now with being at University.
    I will probably make some in the holidays. The issue is which motor to choose as it's always a compromise between collet size and max rpm. The ideal way to do it is get a motor which will take an ER20 chuck and rewind it to get the required, higher, rpm (well, kv strictly).

i bought a pair of those 708A bearings but never got around to implimenting them as i ended up using the larger spindles most of the time and the skate bearings seem to be holding up to the amount of use that they get

the 8mm shaft motors make sense if your cutting balsa because of the higher KV choices

I maintain there's a tidy little sideliness/embryonic business for someone
    i did mull the idea for a spell as i belive the larger brushless spindles would knock the knickers off a kress or even one of those posh water cooled chinese jobs at cutting ali and plastics (especialy so if your finishing with a fly cutter) but i get the feeling most people are after cutting wood on their cnc routers and stick to small tooling to cut the odd bit of alli so im not sure there would be a demand myself

From a quick search on tinternet it seems that most double row angular contact bearings seem to start at 10mm ID
    yep! its a crying shame you cant get them smaller :cry: they work like a charm and make the job eeeeasy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

Well what the hell....decided to buy a couple of these as they will last longer and will be better than the skate bearings. Will get the other bits as and when I sell more velcro on fleabay and get more money in.

Mark / Jonathan are either of you up for making a bearing housing for me?? For a price of course....
    Neil...

Build log...here

Well what the hell....decided to buy a couple
    have you worked out a posh (easy) way to keep the lube in and the crap out of these un-sealed bearings ? its one of the reasons i havnt used mine yet :)

Mark / Jonathan are either of you up for making a bearing housing for me?? For a price of course....
    im up to my neck at the moment so hopfully jonathan will pick this up... you will need two stepped washers making unless you can find belleville washers that are 22mm (just under 22mm so they clear the inner housing)
    it is probably a good idea if you do a drawing so you can thrash out any problems you might have

have you worked out a posh (easy) way to keep the lube in and the crap out of these un-sealed bearings ?
    I was going to get them and then spend the time whilst they wing their way from the US looking at ways to do it :-)

im up to my neck at the moment so hopfully jonathan will pick this up... you will need two stepped washers making unless you can find belleville washers that are 22mm (just under 22mm so they clear the inner housing)
    it is probably a good idea if you do a drawing so you can thrash out any problems you might have
    I might buy a 50mm dia offcut of Ali and have a tinker on the lathe at work, will check to see if we have any boring tools to play with!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information