. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Iv added another diy brushless spindle to my growing collection and thought id post my adventures just in case anyone was in the market for a quiet spindle with low rev torque for cutting plastics and aluminium on a router

my large ER11 spindle has been a top notch work horse and has been the one I use 90% of the time, its taken some heavy abuse even on one occasion cutting two 30mm holes through 20mm of aluminium
    with a hole saw... slow and painful but it got me there in the end

I have on occasion found the ER11 collets limit tooling choices e.g. dove tail/t-slot cutters, thread mills and slit saw arbours tend to have shaft diameters larger than the ER11 capacity of 7mm

Iv managed to procure myself an ER20 C10 collet shaft sooooooo.... I hope to replicate the success of the first spindle with a few minor mods and the ER20 (up to 13mm capacity)

its still a really simple design, the original has one 3200 double row angular contact bearing in the nose, this one will have two 3200 double row angular contacts aprox 10mm apart in the nose and should stop any of the standard motor bearing slop transmitting to the tool end of things.... in reality I cant imagine ill see a difference as the MK 1 spindle works pretty well but I might as well, the theory is there and the bearings are cheep :)

it amazes me that more people have not built this type of spindle but I guess most of you are cutting wood but for anyone cutting plastics and aluminium on a router they make a lot of sense

this one I run on a 12v 350w power supply and get 2800rpm flat out and it maintains enough torque down in the mid hundreds(rpm) to deal with anything iv thrown at it... I know I have vastly under powered it but at 12v the speeds are good and the temperatures (motor windings/bearings and speed controller) remain sensible, besides that, any more power would be wasted on my machines inability to dampen the low frequency resonance.
    6mm 4 flute carbide is about my limit when cutting aluminium and with a 60mm radius fly cutter ill get resonance patterns down wind of any holes I pass over unless I take it very easy
    (errrrrrrr.... if any of that makes any sense)

£17:50 100A Brushless Motor Speed Controller RC BEC ESC (make sure you get the BEC version of any speed controller as it eliminates any need for a 5v supply to your servo tester/controller)
    £17:09 C10 ER20 100L collet chuck CNC extention shank
    £15:00 FOR TWO 3200/5200 DOUBLE ROW ANGULAR CONTACT BEARING 10X30X14
    £ 1:89 New RC Helicopter Plane CCPM Servo ESC Checker Tester
    £35:11 XYH63-54 250KV 65A Outrunner (excluding postage... cant remember)

(there is a cheep as chips outrunner on ebay for £16:60 delivered
    "Outrunner Motor C6364 KV230 Brushless for RC Airplane"
    but the one I got was very poorly balanced, the bell was out of true
    by a degree or so and I didn't want to bother my arse trying to square it up)

£86:59 (ish) + some elbow grease a couple of lumps of ally and a 12v power supply

in order to get the second bearing pocket square with the first I milled it out under size fitted the first bearing and the ER20 chuck and put the whole assembly in the lath and skimmed the last 0.5mm with a small boring tool then skimmed the outer body to 43mm... worked a treat, all nice and square :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diy brushless spindle 1.JPG 
Views:	27221 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	4607Attachment 4597Attachment 4596

Name:	diy brushless spindle 2.JPG 
Views:	22899 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	4609
    removing the exsiting spindle shaft can be a pain but this one came out pretty easy

Name:	diy brushless spindle 2.5.jpg 
Views:	10602 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	4604
    cut one of the bearing recesses to a press fit and you should be able to part assemble
    your spindle and skim the second bearing recess to an almost perfect alignment

Name:	diy brushless spindle 2.6.jpg 
Views:	22975 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	4598
    the ring with the six holes is there to extend the clamping aria to make it compatible with my exsisting spindle clamp and is not esential (it will help keep the crap out though and looks posh)

Name:	diy brushless spindle 3.JPG 
Views:	20390 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	4601
    part assembled again to skim out where the bearing housing sits to a tight true fit

Name:	diy brushless spindle 5.JPG 
Views:	28831 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	4603
    servo controller and 100A ESP

Name:	diy brushless spindle 4.JPG 
Views:	24142 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	4599
    almost finished.... just needs some drilling and tapping to lock the bearing housing to the acetal mount and were off

Name:	diy brushless spindle 10.JPG 
Views:	57132 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	4600
    looking at this photo has me thinking im developing a bit of a fetish for these brushless motors :twisted:
    the blue motor is the "cheep" one that has an extreamly out of balance bell, also in my rush to get it finished i managed to take to much material off the bearing body and had to use aluminum tape to shim it out to fit my clamp its seen me though a couple of tight spots though and will now be retired as a spare

the small one will run up to a theoretical 48000rpm on 12v but i cant see the bearings lasting long at that speed, i keep daring myself to test it to destruction but i just cant bring myself to do it and i get by with it running below 20000rpm
    the yellow one will run upto 10000rpm and i tend to use that for tool grinding

Name:	diy brushless spindle 6.JPG 
Views:	16279 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	4605

Name:	88.jpg 
Views:	13574 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	4606
    exsample of some of the work done with these spindles... i love cutting acetal and i love thread milling M3 in acetal, if things go awry you tend not to snap the tool....
    thread milling should be re classified as an extream sport.... its WELL exciting ... or is that just me being sad ?
    Last edited by blackburn mark; 20-09-2011 at 06:23 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blackburn mark For This Useful Post:

Thread Information