. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You don't think that nurse allows me anything that sharp do you? :lol:

yep, the bosch stuff cant import directly into Sketchup, but there are some ready made CNC on google that parts can be er, borrowed from!

I'd been expecting the process of drawing it to be a lot quicker than it is but it is getting quicker with each iteration of the design.

I'll do another rough and tweak the dims then a final construction guide.

(...then leave it a day and fiddle with it)
    :whistling:

I've found a few nice components by Jcb121 at http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...2035&scoring=m

But the closest I can get to a model of KJN's 45 x 90 aluminium extrusion that many seem to use is http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...da&prevstart=0 which I've compared to the diagrams on KJN's website and it seems to be an exact match to their 45x90 (heavy) extrusion, except that it is missing the four cavities just inside the corners. However if one orbits to the cross-section on the opposite end of the model, these cavities are detailed there correctly but not pushed/pulled as "nothing" through the extrusion if that makes any kind of sense...

I've tried to modify these cavities into the model/component... but as a SketchUp (CAD?) newbie of just a few days standing have been spectacularly unsuccessful, and am not even sure if this can be done with the free version of SketchUp.

Would anyone know how to do this?

Cheers,
    Andy

PS. The reason I'm trying to do this is that I'm questioning whether I would be able to easily attach the SBR20 Rail to this extrusion using self-tapping screws into these cavities?

I'm still struggling with sketchup, but when i wanted parts Jazz steered me towards this site.
    http://www.tracepartsonline.net/%28S...9/content.aspx

It has nearly everything you require on there.

Quote Originally Posted by deannos View Post
    I'm still struggling with sketchup, but when i wanted parts Jazz steered me towards this site.
    http://www.tracepartsonline.net/%28S...9/content.aspx

It has nearly everything you require on there.
    Thanks. I tried that website last night and it seemed to be wonky... mind you it was the wee hours of this morning so I was probably the wonky component. It's quite incredible how much they have on there!
    The closest model I can find so far is not quite right but I'll keep on searching there, and even consider being less anal than I can be and use the nearest match.

As an aside, I've got backlash on the mouse wheel thingy, which is real PITA when zooming in SketchUp!

Thankfully a new mouse has sorted out the mouse-wheel-backlash problem, and thanks to direction from Iwant1 and JoeHarris I feel I'm slowly getting the hang of this SketchUp thing albeit in fits and starts... And SketchUp seems to be an amazing tool.

As part of the learning curve, I've created a model for the KJN 45x90 Aluminium Profile that may also be use to other peeps, and is available from

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...9336&scoring=m so I can hopefully now get back to using it in my SketchUp design.
    Last edited by WandrinAndy; 07-08-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Updated link

Well done Andy, drawing looks good for practice. I used the 45x90 extrusion jcb121 has put in the warehouse, and also modified it to make the 45x45 extrusion.

One thing I could suggest which makes it look better is to soften the edges. Also once the object is drawn make sure you select the whole thing and group it. It doesn't have to be a component, but making it a group will make it easier to move around and orientate it. Other wise you will end up having to select each line and surface of the object every time you want to move it, and trust me you will be moving it a lot. If you want to make it longer just double click it to open the group, select the face and pull it.
    Here's my example of how I would do it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45x90 Heavy KJN pulled.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	266.5 KB 
ID:	6380
    Adil

Quote Originally Posted by Iwant1 View Post
    I used the 45x90 extrusion jcb121 has put in the warehouse, and also modified it to make the 45x45 extrusion.

One thing I could suggest which makes it look better is to soften the edges.

If you want to make it longer just double click it to open the group, select the face and pull it.
    Thanks Adil.

Yep, suppose I could have used Jcb121's and scaled it, but the only extrusion I saw from Jcb121 was 40x80, and it differed from the KJN version I wanted where the corner cavities are different, so doing my own from scratch using KJN's diagram was a good learning experience.

That softening of the edges is definitely summat that I will play with tomorrow.

I have done lots of grouping and exploding all evening, but found that I couldn't push/pull it lengthwise when it was a group. You know what..... I wasn't DOUBLE clicking the group!!!! Doh

Cheers,
    Andy

One thing I could suggest which makes it look better is to soften the edges.
    My doh moment has passed and I've corrected an error in the model and added better guide lines and re-grouped everything and uploaded the model again.

But....

For the life of me I can't get my corner edges softened nicely like you have Adil... I've been trying this on the group level, and the result is it only changes the corner lines from solid to dotted.

Help please... How is this done?

Andy

Looks like you have made the extrusion into a component. First double click the component to open it then click again to select the group box. Now right click mouse and there is an option to soften/smooth edges. I think this is how far you have got. Sliding the bar up and down should remove all the solid lines till you're happy with it.

Are you getting dotted lines on the corner of the extrusion only, or every bend within it? Should be every bend within the shape. Then go to the 'View' tab and deselect hidden geometry. Should be done, fingers crossed.

Shame you made this 2 days to late for me to use, jcb121's was 80x40mm so I resized this using the scale function to make it 45x90mm.

Are you getting dotted lines on the corner of the extrusion only, or every bend within it? Should be every bend within the shape. Then go to the 'View' tab and deselect hidden geometry. Should be done, fingers crossed.
    You've hit the nail on the head again Adil. Thanks. It was me having the friggin "hidden geometry" selected. Oh well, we live and learn... some quicker than others ;-)

Problem solved and have uploaded new version of 45x90 Heavy KJN to the link in my earlier post.

Thanks again,
    Andy
    Last edited by WandrinAndy; 25-07-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Updated link

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information