. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tutorials

I think it would be a good idea if the people that can would give Tutorials on how to turn a drawing into a working cutting example

Ie

one of my first jobs is the cut a quadrant out of maple

3" piece of square wood by 1 meter

so you draw the 3" by 1 meter on a 2D program and then what?

how do you translate a curve to the x-axis/cnc program ??

I think it would be really helpful to us beginners if some one did a project for us all to follow

what do you experts think

James and Luke:confused::confused:

Just off out now but I'll do one tonight using Draftsight and Vectrics Cut 2D if that suits ?

Post a bit of a sketch of the shape if you can.
    John S -

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John S For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quadrent.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	4634

that so cool Thank you John s

James and Luke

But what do people think a bout doing a series of tutorials

even a Video walk through ??

James

I think it would be a good idea if the people that can would give Tutorials on how to turn a drawing into a working cutting example
    thats not a bad idea, i could have done with some of that when i first started, i think most of us built and just had to have faith that we would be able to sort the cad/cam problem

it can be a nightmare at first but if you have the gumption to finish a build you definatley have the gumption to crack a bit of cad/cam (scuse the pun:naughty:)

I'll do one tonight using Draftsight and Vectrics Cut 2D
    nice one john, it will be interesting to see how other people go about the task

even a Video walk through ??
    vids are good but that would take quite a bit of effort for someone

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    vids are good but that would take quite a bit of effort for someone
    I never watch videos of people showing you how to use a program. They're almost exclusively slow and inefficient. If the program in not intuitive then I find the 'paper' tutorial, or help file. It's so much easier and quicker to just skim that document to find the required information than follow a video.

For Vectric there are these pdfs:
    http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr..._tutorials.htm

Luke: I'll show you how to do it in person when the time comes. For that particular part you'll probably have to export it from the CAD program as an STL and import into whatever CAM program you choose...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I never watch videos of people showing you how to use a program. They're almost exclusively slow and inefficient. If the program in not intuitive then I find the 'paper' tutorial, or help file. It's so much easier and quicker to just skim that document to find the required information than follow a video.
    Everyone has their own way of learning. Sometimes you just need to see something happen. I'm not a big fan of video tutorials for software in general but they have a useful place alongside written tutorials. There have been a few things that just didn't make sense until I saw it done.

If by "slow and inefficient" you mean that the tutorials do not take the shortcuts you use, then you are missing the point. Learn first, get fast later. As long as the tutorials are not giving blatantly bad information then they are fine. Once someone has built up some experience with the software, they are ready to learn the shortcuts.

There are some very good video tutorials for SolidCam that I found to be an excellent complement to the written materials (and can be found here if anyone is interested: http://www.solidcam.com/solidcam-professor.html). Each to their own, one supposes.

There are some very good video tutorials for SolidCam that I found to be an excellent complement to the written materials (and can be found here if anyone is interested: http://www.solidcam.com/solidcam-professor.html). Each to their own, one supposes.
    i did a bit of solidcam professer and the tutorials and the help files, it still boggled the s**t out of me for a good while
    im not sure good cam software is intuative, soidworks is pretty easy to get into but solidcam is a bit of a **** .... you cant play it by ear at all but it starts getting petty slick once you press the right buttons and twiddle the right knobs :tup: it takes a bit of heart ache and pain first though

(i never could get it to make any sense of my 4th axis)

when i say "good" cam sofware i mean exotic... for doing acrobatic tool paths and all sorts of posh graphics for simulations.... probably a bit over kill for most and very very over priced for us mear mortals :)
    Last edited by blackburn mark; 24-09-2011 at 05:24 PM.

I still think it's a good idea

Luke: I'll show you how to do it in person when the time comes. For that particular part you'll probably have to export it from the CAD program as an STL and import into whatever CAM program you choose...
    No disrespect. But well all don't have a very good friend like Jonathan to fall back on in the early teething stages.

if I could afford it I would go to night school

I know my son Luke would and learn from a video as that's all he does (watch youtube LOL)

however I know he is going to learn a lot from Jonathan as he looks up to him as a expert and a teacher.

James

OK glad to see Johnathan has sorted you.
    John S -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information