. .
    Hi Guys

Just wondered if anyone had any Ballnut tubes spare for my RM1605's (the ones that keep the bearings in place during fitting and transport)

i need to remove the 16mm ballnuts and would rather not chase ball bearings all over the floor and try work out how to get it all back together .

i could send a stamped address envelope it would be gratefully appreciated

Best Regards

Rupert

I've got an aluminium one I made from when I accidently ran the ballnut off the end of the screw and had to re-assemble it. That was a RM1610 screw - I guess the pitch diameter is the same for RM1605 but I'm not sure? Best check before posting...

Why do you need to take the nuts off out of interest?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

Anything with a 13-13.5mm OD will do, try a length of this: 13mm Aluminium Alloy Tube

Best served with some of these: Double Wire Spring Clip

Cut the tube into 60mm length's, job done.

Lee

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I've got an aluminium one I made from when I accidently ran the ballnut off the end of the screw and had to re-assemble it. That was a RM1610 screw - I guess the pitch diameter is the same for RM1605 but I'm not sure? Best check before posting...

Why do you need to take the nuts off out of interest?
    Hi Jonathan

The reason i wanted to take the ballscrew off it is that i got some ballscrews and nuts off Chai at linearmotion2008 and i think one of the ballnuts has a bit of crap in it rotates smoothly but now an again theres a slight resistance the screw is clean,ballnut not connected to the carriage and hasnt run with a stepper on yet as im still building. As you prob know they send them with ballnuts installed so no tubes.

so i will prob have to take it apart check and clean and refit

just out of interest how many Circuits are there 2 ?

did you slide the tube onto the fixed or floating end to install ?

do you happen to remember how many balls were in each circuit and were they all the same size ?

i here some ballnuts use a slightly bigger ball everynow and again (anti backlash ball)i could be talking rubbish :)

i was looking at it wound right out just enough to see one of the Circuits at the floating end to see how i would go about loading the bearings there is a orange plastic seperater at 3 points when you had the ballnut off did you push them into the inside to remove them and load the balls into each circuit then replace the orange seperator at the end of each circuit as you pushed it onto the tube ?

As for the pitch im not sure they share the same 3.175 ball diameter so i guess it should be the same

RM1605 ball diam 3.175 lead 5mm
    RM1610 ball diam 3.175 lead 10mm

If its ok with you i could send you a PM and send you a stamped address envelope i will of course return it if you need me too

Thanks so Much in advance for your assistance and advise :P

Best Regards

Rupert

Quote Originally Posted by koogar View Post
    rotates smoothly but now an again theres a slight resistance
    I think I found some foreign body's in mine when I accidently dismantled it...but I might be thinking of someone else.

just out of interest how many Circuits are there 2 ?
    I think it might be 3, RM1610 was 3 - count the number of circular plastic pieces on the ballnuts. Each one of those recirculates the balls to create a circuit. RM2510 has 3...

did you slide the tube onto the fixed or floating end to install ?

do you happen to remember how many balls were in each circuit and were they all the same size ?
    Yes they are identical, checked them with micrometer.

i here some ballnuts use a slightly bigger ball everynow and again (anti backlash ball)i could be talking rubbish :)
    They sometimes have alternate size balls, like OoOoOoO...this is a good read:

http://machinedesign.com/article/bal...the-myths-0708

i was looking at it wound right out just enough to see one of the Circuits at the floating end to see how i would go about loading the bearings there is a orange plastic seperater at 3 points
    Just answered your own question! It's 3 circuits.

when you had the ballnut off did you push them into the inside to remove them and load the balls into each circuit then replace the orange seperator at the end of each circuit as you pushed it onto the tube ?
    I tried various methods without much success, so then I just stuck a very big neodymium magnet I had lying around to the ballnut and placed the balls in. The magnet keeps the balls in place perfectly, could even drop it and the balls generally stayed in place...another way is to use grease or something to stick the balls in, but that may not be wise, not sure. I then stuck it in a 50Hz alternating magnetic field for a little while to demagnetise it, probably not necessary but why not...

As for the pitch im not sure they share the same 3.175 ball diameter so i guess it should be the same .
    Yes I'd be surprised if they're not.

I think I know where the tube is - but I've just gone back to university. I'll ask my Mum to post it or if not do it this weekend.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

I think I've got a bit of screw off cut if your not sorted, also could easily turn you abit Ali to right dia if needed.

Just PM me if needed.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I think I've got a bit of screw off cut if your not sorted, also could easily turn you abit Ali to right dia if needed.

Just PM me if needed.
    Thanks for your Kind offer JAZZ and your tips Jonathan

If Jonathan cant locate his tube i might take you up on that .Must be great to have room for a Lathe at home :)

i see your from Wakey i just live down the road in Huddersfield :) small world

Thanks again

Rupert
    Last edited by koogar; 27-09-2011 at 11:45 PM.

i see your from Wakey i just live down the road in Huddersfield :) small world
    Yep close enough I used to date a bird from Huddersfield. . Lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thread Information