. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks Ian, my apologies for not having anything I can use to illustrate this and the other questions I've posed. I'm working on it! I'll certainly be taking lots in the build!

From what I've seen from Ian's picture and the schematics on line for motor mounts, it looks like it will be ok. Of course until I get the parts and the steel in my hand I can't know for sure.
    Last edited by mocha; 28-09-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Don't think you'll need as much room inside the box section as you think because you only really need say approx 10-12mm more than the length of the coupling because the shafts of both motor and screw go inside the coupling. So the only extra distance required is the thickness of the coupling dampner (If using split type coupling) plus a bit of wiggle room.

Obviously will depend on how you mount the fixed end of the screw IE:bought BK/BF blocks or DIY etc and how much of the screw you let stick thru the steel.

Edit: Drawing or rough sketch of intended frame and screw mounting would help. ;)
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 28-09-2011 at 10:52 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jazz, I think it should all fit in.. I'll just do a complete redesign if it doesn't! (so far I'm only wasting paper, not metal!)

Didn't find a bearing to drop in here too but here's a pic! I'm not convinced about the scale being correct.. but it should illustrate what I mean
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor mount v4.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	4648

Mocha,

When the mounts got made for my machine (the ones in the pic above) they were designed specifically for the said coupling, months later when I was ready to order my parts the coupling had gone past “end of line” and I couldn’t buy them anymore. It was a real time waster trying to locate a coupling that was the right OD and overall length, so if I was you I would order your couplings as soon as you can.

I’m not sure if you’re buying pre machined ball screws or turning them down yourself, ether way you should be able to order/machine them with the final blank longer then you need it, then once you come to assembly you could trim them to best fit. May save you some time now and allow you to move on.

I don’t know if you can use it or not but attached is a drawing you may find useful while you’re working things out, if you’re like me and do everything “pen to paper” then you could also print this out, finalize it, then use it for machining purpose.

.Me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ballscrew_maching.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	4651  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    Thanks Jazz, I think it should all fit in.. I'll just do a complete redesign if it doesn't! (so far I'm only wasting paper, not metal!)

Didn't find a bearing to drop in here too but here's a pic! I'm not convinced about the scale being correct.. but it should illustrate what I mean
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor mount v4.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	4648
    Ye I get the picture but I already did.!

To me it seems your not accounting enough for the fixed screw bearing mount and how it will mate with your proposed motor mounts, this will be the main determaning factor to length required.
    Also like Lee skirts upon the other down side to this way of doing things is the lack of easy adjustabilty if things or needs change.!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    so if I was you I would order your couplings as soon as you can.

Yep, that's the plan... get all the hardware, check it against the estimates I've been using and then tweak the metal work to suit in the design and then order the metal and start the build...

I’m not sure if you’re buying pre machined ball screws or turning them down yourself,
    Pre machined.

The design is going with me to the shops so I should be able to see if anything is going to cause me any problems before I part with any cash. I'm sure there will still be some surprises.
    :naughty:

As Lee has suggested I got the end portion (F) of my screws machined 25mm long to leave plenty of room for pulleys. You could do the same here if necessary.

If you do something a similar size to what I made here it should be fine...if not luke is in trouble! I don't remember spending more than a few seconds deciding the length.

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...3-motor-mounts

I can make you some if you like but it would cost more than a piece of box section and you'd almost certainly be much better off investing that money in buying pulleys as I keep saying! So much more versatile...

This may help, if you've not already found equivalent:

http://www.file-vault.us/pdfs/ball_s...umentation.pdf

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

lol, Pulleys will be on the mark 2 version, along with flow alarms, massage chair and coffee maker!! lol

That Pdf is one I haven't seen, most useful! Thanks

why box ?

why not angle or flat plate ?? then you are clear for wiggling and no mounting trouble of the ballscrew

just a thought

James

Quote Originally Posted by luke11cnc View Post
    why box ?

why not angle or flat plate ?? then you are clear for wiggling and no mounting trouble of the ballscrew

just a thought

James
    Hi James, (I've enjoyed your build log) Why box? Well, my thinking is that in the right circumstances box is stronger than plate or angle, especially if you are expecting the loading to be in multiple directions.

Square section is very efficient shape for this multiple-axis loading as it has uniform geometric and thus uniform strength characteristics along two or more cross-sectional axes.

Having said that, a hexagonal profile made from welded triangular shapes would no doubt be even better :lol: but "£ for lb", box is good value.

This view may well be modified after practical testing! :naughty:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information