. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Has anyone used box section metal (suitably machined) for mounting motors etc? Something like 70 x 70 x 4 for example?

Any problems likely? :question:

Not seen anything done like that "yet!".

The best method i've seen/used is a solid bar of ali, on the other side of the block is a pocket to recive the leadscrew fixed end bearings, like the floating end round mounts in the other pic, but you use two bearings back to back for the fixed ends.

.Me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0444.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	260.2 KB 
ID:	4644   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0438.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	4645  

Thanks Lee, They do look pretty!

had a ferret around and found these, but forgot to note where I pulled it from! Apologies to the owner for the borrowing his pic

I'm toying with the thought of using something similar, but longer.. to help protect the more delicate parts.:naughty:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1674.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	4646

edit; picture is from pavlo's excellent build log elsewhere on this site.
    Last edited by mocha; 28-09-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: clarification

Mocha,
    do you mean longer between the motor and the ballscrew so that you have more room for the coupling?

Ian

Hi Ian
    It seemed like a really good idea at 3am this morning! lol, but I think I may have screwed up on the numbers.

The distance between the face of the motor and the face of the bearing for the ballscrew nearest it...
    I'm working on the shaft of the NEMA 23 being around 20mm long and the coupling in the region of 34mm.

What I can't seem to calculate is the overall distance when it's all fitted together... I think it's around 60mm but that has some "guess" in it! Does it sound reasonable?

Can anyone point me at the right place to look or take a look at their set up and have a quick check for me please?
    thanks!
    Last edited by mocha; 28-09-2011 at 12:50 PM.

You would also need to know how much shaft you have sticking out through the bearing to start with would you not? This would let you know where your coupling would sit. If you are going to make them from box section where are you going to mount the shaft bearing?

Ian

You would also need to know how much shaft you have sticking out through the bearing to start with would you not?
    Yes, spot on! Which is probably why I'm having trouble figuring it out!

I'm looking at slicing something like an 80mm length of 70 x 70 x 4 and mounting the motor on one of the "x4" side walls, with the bearing on the opposite side. So, the ID (62mm) of the box section is the space available to fit the coupling and anything else etc.

I'm trying to find out if 70mm square is going to give me enough room inside, or if I need to go to 80mm, or more.. But I want to use the smallest size that is practical.

Can you fit the coupling to the motor shaft then fit the ballscrew shaft into the coupling. If you fit them loosely you will have a bit of play to guage what length you need on the ballscrew shaft.
    The photo below will give you a rough idea of the distance of the motor mount.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0042.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	4647

Are you using a bought bearing mount for the ballscrew or are you going to make one?

Ian

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Web Goblin For This Useful Post:

Thanks Ian, Thats a big help!

Can you fit the coupling to the motor shaft then fit the ballscrew shaft into the coupling.
    That's the plan, (theroretical plan!) :)
    Mount the motor first, align that with the bearing at the far end, then the coupling loose, bearing, ballscrew. Then make another plan when that doesn't work! lol

Are you using a bought bearing mount for the ballscrew or are you going to make one?
    Yes to both parts.. The other side of the steel "box" will be what I bolt the bearing mount to as it were...
    Last edited by mocha; 28-09-2011 at 06:22 PM.

No problem. Post some pictures so we can see what you get done.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information