. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm thinking of buying the MicroMill DSLS 3000 but have never seen one in the flesh. If you have a TAIG-based mill, even a manual one, in the Birmingham/Worcester area, I'd love to come and see it!

I'd bring biscuits!

Hopefully,

Robin

PS As luck would have it, I've just discovered that http://medw.co.uk/ and http://www.peatol.com/ are nearby. Perhaps one of them will have a machine in stock that I could look at.

PPS If you'd like to know the background to my interest in this machine, I've just introduced myself on the New Member forum.

So I don't waste anyone's time, I've managed to find a mill nearby that I can go and look at early next week but I'm still interested in chatting to other owners. There could still be biscuits in it! ;-)

Robin

hi,

i have an x1L which is the same size if not larger and live in glouc and i am looking to sell it as i have a larger machine. It is fully cnc converted with belt drive conversion.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2608609527...84.m1586.l2649

Don't fit in the Brum / Worcester area watershed as I'm at Long Eaton, half way between Derby and Notts, 1/2 mile from the Erewash canal.
    Got a CNC Taig, CNC X1L, CNC Denford Starmill, Connect mill based on the Rishton, Original KX1 mill, X3 CNC mill, couple of big industrail mills and might have another couple kicking about, hard to tell they breed during dark nights.
    John S -

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Got a CNC Taig, CNC X1L, CNC Denford Starmill, Connect mill based on the Rishton, Original KX1 mill, X3 CNC mill, couple of big industrail mills and might have another couple kicking about, hard to tell they breed during dark nights.

No wonder floor space doesn't exist in your workshop!

Ah.. a biscuit fan! John, I'm jealous of all your machines and the space required to house them, even if there is no floor space left! I might have to pop up to Mansfield in the next couple of weeks. Would it be okay to pop by if I do? It'd probably be late afternoon on a weekday though.

Fragger, thanks for the link. I'll check it out but if anything, I'd like a smaller machine than the TAIG. The only reason for going for something TAIG-sized is to get the rigidity to be able to cope well with harder materials occasionally.

By all means, I'll PM you the contact numbers.

Just for interest and to fit into the recent motor mounting posts here is my Taig.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taig07.jpg 
Views:	1007 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	4652

Inside the steel box section are HTD timing pulleys at 1:1 ratio, with a 20 tpi screw the Taig doesn't need any reduction.
    I did it this way as I don't like the typical 4 column mounts that look like a clock on steroids plus the standard Taig mounts make the machine look like Prince Charles.
    John S -

i would say there is little in the rigidity of the two machines. The x1 can mill steel and hard materials as i have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by fragger6662000 View Post
    i would say there is little in the rigidity of the two machines. The x1 can mill steel and hard materials as i have done it.
    Almost any machine can cut steel and hard materials ... it's just (within reason) a matter of how fast you want to cut it. I've cut steel and Titatium with my CNC router, just takes a while.

Robin: looks like I'm also quite near to you... I'm near Loughborough.

Quote Originally Posted by robinc View Post
    Ah.. a biscuit fan! John, I'm jealous of all your machines and the space required to house them, even if there is no floor space left! I might have to pop up to Mansfield in the next couple of weeks. Would it be okay to pop by if I do? It'd probably be late afternoon on a weekday though.
    Make sure you bring hobnobs...apparently it's a wise move.

Fragger, I'm pretty much convinced that both the TAIG and the X1L would cut hard materials - as Jonathan suggests they should. I meant that the only reason I'm not going for something even smaller than the TAIG is that such a machine would struggle to cut harder materials. The Sherline would fit much better in the space I have available but a skilled Sherline owner has told me he struggled to cut stainless with it, even with low rates of material removal. Perhaps not surprising when you look at a side by side comparison:

http://www.deepgroove1.com/tagsherli...comparison.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information