. .
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. at what RPM on the motors does it stall? is it at the same speed all the time? Do both motors on the X stall even if they are not linked mechanically?

Both motors stall simultaneously, they are using separate drivers and slaved together in Mach3.. I have tried varying the speeds and accelerations in Mach3 but that makes no difference. It only does this on full rapid, when the x and y are being moved simultaneously.. I can repeat this every time by jogging both axis at full speed, it also does it if I run code that rapids (G0) at 45 degrees...

Steve..

3. What speed are you stalling at?
    What happens if you are moving X at maximum speed and then just move Z?

It is stalling at all speeds.. Had it as low as 500mm/min up to 2500mm/min.. Acceleration from 10 - 120.. Stalls at any speed.. The x axis is completely unaffected by the z axis.. It only happens when the Y and x is both moving at full speed..

Have wired my nema 23 (3Nm) in parallel.. Wow, whizzes along now at nearly double the speed...!
    Was re-checking this fault and had the y axis stall as well as the x..! Hmm.. seems the problem is getting worse now.. Spent a good chunk of the morning frowning hard at my PC, its a quick computer but have had some comments about the parallel port that are starting to sound ominous...!

Steve..

Steve, Smooth stepper on it's way this will eliminate the PP completely. . . Remember thou I want the bugger back.:confused:

Thanks Jazz..!

Will pop the bugger back as soon as I have tried it..!

Steve..

8. Disconnected the X and Y motors from their X-Y table. Unable to reproduce the problem of horrible sounds and missed steps described above when MACH3 jogging the motors at full speed. I'm becoming convinced that, since the X and Y-axis move very smoothly on their own, that the issue - in my case - is related to some resultant force vector in the heavy X-Y table causing table twisting and thereby increased friction and too high loading on one or both of the the motors (even though motor currents seem low). I can't tell by sound or feel whether it's the X or Y motor generating the noise. A mystery that's annoying and puzzling.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Disconnected the X and Y motors from their X-Y table. Unable to reproduce the problem of horrible sounds and missed steps described above when MACH3 jogging the motors at full speed. I'm becoming convinced that, since the X and Y-axis move very smoothly on their own, that the issue - in my case - is related to some resultant force vector in the heavy X-Y table causing table twisting and thereby increased friction and too high loading on one or both of the the motors (even though motor currents seem low). I can't tell by sound or feel whether it's the X or Y motor generating the noise. A mystery that's annoying and puzzling.
    Sounds very much like you have some binding then or if it's X-Y table that uses dovetail ways with jib strips then you could have some slop enabling the table to twist and jam.?
    If so then I would strip down the table and check for any chips that have got lodged or stuck, clean all surfaces carefully checking for damage or high spots.
    Re-lube the ways and rebuild being carefull not to over tighten but still enough take out any slop then try again.

Good luck.!

Steve I'm clutching straws for you here but it may be worth trying another PP cable.?? Will at least be another part of the elimination process.!

I'm pritty sure you have a pulse issue and this where I'd be concentrating my main focus.!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information