. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    What's a good value for the spin-up time for a typical 2.2KW water-cooled spindle? My VFD is still set to the factory default for ramp-up and I've only recently realised that this is a user-configurable value (in both VFD and IP-M settings).

Thanks,
    3-4s is about right I find. If you set too low then you'll get VFD tripping.
    The Spin setting in IP-M is only in the later Plug-in's/firmware so if still using Old Firmware worth updating.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul3112 View Post
    @Jazzcnc
    Were you the chap that did the vid on the AC servo setup for mach3??
    If so, do you have any information on your setup available?

Regards
    Paul
    ( please excuse for going off topic for this thread)
    Yes that was me. What would you like to know.?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yes that was me. What would you like to know.?

Thanx for the reply

The short answer is "everything".
    I assume from the vid that you did a position setup. I would also be interested in the possibility of understanding torque setup for that driver.
    Given that I have little to no experience with ac servos, I will be grateful for any info. wire diagram, pid settings, emf noise considerations.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul3112 View Post
    Thanx for the reply

The short answer is "everything".
    I assume from the vid that you did a position setup. I would also be interested in the possibility of understanding torque setup for that driver.
    Given that I have little to no experience with ac servos, I will be grateful for any info. wire diagram, pid settings, emf noise considerations.

Paul
    Everything!! . . . Greedy Man. . .Lol

Ok well the video shows them running in Velocity mode not position. This is set in the drive. The controller is +/-10v Analog so position Mode isn't an option. Only Torque and Velocity with +/-10v. The Controller takes care of Position.

If was using Step/Dir controller then would use Position mode. (Can't use Velocity or Torque mode with Step/Dir only Position)

The drive as 3 modes Velocity,position,torque and can be setup so can change between them if required. This is done using Inputs on the drive. However not something you'd use on CNC machine more for automated machinery etc when only the drive is controlling position. With CNC and Analog controller you need to tune the position controller to the mode your using.

Not used in Torque mode but Velocity or torque mode is choice and will to some degree depend on application. Mills/lathe may use Torque mode for higher holding force underload and larger routers which require higher positional speeds velocity mode. However If properly sized drive/Motor then there will be very little difference between them.

Regards PID tuning etc then it's pointless because PID tuning unique to each machine so what works for me 99.9% won't work for you.

Wiring diagram again will depend on your machine and setup. Bascily how safe you want it.
    Can't or won't publicly help on this because such dangerous thing and so easily missunderstood by less experienced users won't take the risk showing. If want help contact me via PM at time required ie: you have drives etc or know exactly what using and I'll gladly help.

With servos then extra care must be taken on safety because when things go wrong they go wrong BIG TIME. Unlike steppers Servo's don't stall when hit something they just Seek and Destroy.!!
    Like wise if lose contact with controller or Encoder they are like Angry Wasps and can take off at full chat looking to Sting what evers in there way until they Die.!!

Ok well maybe thats bit extreme because the drives do have some protect and will fault if lose contact with encoder etc but still safety is far more important with servos. And they can under some circumstances just take off so more and Bigger Oh Shite buttons required.

EMF is one of those Circumstances that can make Servo's take off and the drive's protections know nothing about it untill all over.?
    Noisy signal lines or interference from outside source will affect servos in more dangerous way than do steppers.
    If low or mild EMF it will just affect performance, ie Jitter lost positon, etc. If bad then it will be just like you've told Axis to drive to some random point in outer space at full speed.!

So Good EMF protection is very imporant. Line filters, Quality Cabels etc are Must with servos. Signal Voltage is also important. 5V doesn't cut it with servo's 24v is must really for good stable machine.

Hope this helps. (start another thread if want to know more)
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 01-10-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Cheers. I will PM you and then a new thread
    Sorry again for going off topic on this thread

Paul

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information