. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Now to do the equivalent with the VFD... Good luck, Neil - it's easy when you've done it once
    Only 2 param's need changing for external control PD01 & PD02 set both to 1.

Well, that was fun! Couple of minutes to wire from CSMIO to socket on case. Then rather longer to work through the CSMIO manual to get the Mach3 and plugin configuration sorted. Seemed to be about 4 different config screens and tabs to find all the relevant places to configure things while remembering that "output" means something different to Mach3 and CSMIO, and that pin numbers are not necessarily output numbers. All good fun, but now the forward relay comes on when commanded from the screen and a quick check with a meter says that the PWM analogue output voltage is about right for the commanded spindle speed. In fact, with these settings, it looks as M3 or M4 will both actually switch the spindle forwards.

Now to do the equivalent with the VFD... Good luck, Neil - it's easy when you've done it once
    Just wired it up and have given up for the day, got a +10V voltage on the analogue output for the 24,000 the program was asking for but the spindle is sat there doing nothing. I've changed both PD01 and PD02 to 1 in the VFD settings, now you can't turn it on manually so must have changed that correctly!! Wired up as per your post Dean, using 2 seperate cables (didn't have any 4 core left.) My brain's fried for today , I know it's to do with the difference in what CSMIO and Mach call the "outputs" and that I'm not calling it the correct thing in one or more of the screens....so...........start again tomorrow morning.....
    Last edited by njhussey; 28-09-2016 at 04:21 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Neil IP_M works slightly odd in that you need to set the Output pin number in mach to the OUTPUT number, in this case 4 or 5 not the actual pin number on Controller ie: 12 or 13.

So first you need to enable OUTPUT #1 set port 10 and Pin to 4 or Pin5 depending if wired to terminal 12 or 13 on IP-M.
    This operates the Relay Outputs so you'll get on/off with M3/M5

If your getting voltage then your setup on the analog side.
    Also regards the speed if it takes ages to spin up to full speed then you may need to go into Config plugin and spindle tab then set the Spindle Acceleration/deceleration amount. I just set it to 24000rpm/s.

There is also Ramp up/down parameter in the VFD which does similair thing which is often set to 20s. So you may need to change both.
    I suggest you set the VFD first to say 3-5s then if still slow to spin up change in the Plugin.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 28-09-2016 at 07:58 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thats it, 4 is the magic number, of course it makes sense now but after fiddling with it and doing a million.and one other things today my brain was fried.

The spindle takes about 3s to spin up to full chat, I seem to remember setting that parameter in the vfd when first setting up.

Thanks for your help Dean, will report back tomorrow morning 😊

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    The spindle takes about 3s to spin up to full chat, I seem to remember setting that parameter in the vfd when first setting up.
    Well don't be surprised if it takes longer than 3s when under IP-M control. The IP-M also gives you option to control the rate at which it ramps the voltage.
    If it does then go into Config plugin and do what said.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Well don't be surprised if it takes longer than 3s when under IP-M control. The IP-M also gives you option to control the rate at which it ramps the voltage.
    If it does then go into Config plugin and do what said.
    I'll check that out too in the morning and have a play, cheers Dean!

Neil...

Build log...here

What's a good value for the spin-up time for a typical 2.2KW water-cooled spindle? My VFD is still set to the factory default for ramp-up and I've only recently realised that this is a user-configurable value (in both VFD and IP-M settings).

Thanks,

What's a good value for the spin-up time for a typical 2.2KW water-cooled spindle? My VFD is still set to the factory default for ramp-up and I've only recently realised that this is a user-configurable value (in both VFD and IP-M settings).

Thanks,
    I guess it depends on how quick you want to start cutting? I've got mine set to about 3 seconds to 24,000 rpm. I seem to remember going through the sticky thread on here when setting up my VFD with the suggested settings so I guess its set at 3.

Dean, thanks 4 was the magic number and all is working well!!

Neil...

Build log...here

Hi.
    I add this link to the conversation.
    http://www.hy-electrical.com/download3.htm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OszQS_BQMk
    I have heard say that the VFD's for the water cooled spindles are able to go to a higher frequency output.

Also a link to Peter Hommans site, His Digispeed unit for Mach3 is cute. Basically he has good stuff. He is also the Gecko dist for Australia
    http://www.homanndesigns.com/index.p...products_id=38
    Regards
    Paul
    Last edited by Paul3112; 30-09-2016 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Added links

@Jazzcnc
    Were you the chap that did the vid on the AC servo setup for mach3??
    If so, do you have any information on your setup available?

Regards
    Paul
    ( please excuse for going off topic for this thread)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information