. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Yes it is possible, either by configuring it for digital input which allows you to select (I think) 8 different speeds or by using the anologue speed control input and mach's PWM output which may require smoothing. I'm sure you'll find it if you look on CNC zone. I've not done it yet as I prefer to control it myself.

Here's the English-ish manual which should clarify things:

http://www.jinlantrade.com/ebay/invertermanual.pdf

Jonathan,

Even after reading the manual I could'nt solve the problem. What you really mean by your first sentence of your comment, can you be somemore specific ?

I'm currently about to wire one of these inverters to a CSMIO-IP/M for spindle speed and direction control. The connection diagram for the inverter shows separate grounds for analogue and digital signals. Does anyone happen to know if these can be connected to provide a common ground? If so, I could get away with a single 4-core CY cable between control box and inverter (F/R/Speed/common ground) but otherwise I shall end up with two cables (as I only have 4-core CY and not 5-core!). Not difficult if I have to go the two-cable route but it would be a little tidier if I could get away with just one.

Neale - I think by asking you know the answer already - it' rarely a good idea to mix analogue and digital grounds. It might work, but it's not designed to.

Of course, an alternative is a RS422 interface between the controlling PC and the inverter - I'm not saying this is the best solution but it can (in my experience of dodgy earths) avoid some analogue noise, and requires only a 2-wire interface and a £3 USB device to provide digital speed and direction control.

Neal they are separate grounds but you don't need 5 core 4 cores is enough. Heres how you wire it to IP-M controller.

Starting with On/OFF. Take DCM to Pin 25 then FWD to Pin 12 or 13 depending which Output relay you want to use.
    Speed Control: ACM to Pin2 on Analog Output. V1 to Pin1

It's that easy.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Cheers Dean, I'm just looking at this as I'm about to wire mine to the IP-M at last....
    Neil...

Build log...here

Thank you for that, Jazz. Yes, indeed, the wiring is that easy, and essentially that's exactly what I was going to do. The difference was that I was going to wire in the REV connection as well, hence the need for four cores. But thinking through what you wrote, I realise that in the four years I've been using it, I have never ever used "reverse" on the spindle, and I can't imagine why I ever would. Drop that, and I can happily use one piece of CY for the lot. Sometimes you can be too close to a problem!

Thanks again - I'll get that wired and tested later.

DONT DO THAT.!! . . . It's dangerous to run Collet Spindle in reverse.? Think about it for minute and will become obvious.!!

Many years ago I made a small T-slot cutter for a special job I was doing. Made a nice job of it, too - even down to the close-fitting threads on the shank to fit my Autolock collet chuck on the mill. I was just about to start the machine when I realised that I had cut the teeth for left-hand cutting, and would need to run the machine in reverse. Not a good idea with a screwed-shank cutter. Between that and the time that a 4-jaw chuck unscrewed itself from my Myford's spindle nose because I had managed to partially stop the motor then restarted it too soon and it ran backwards...

I was once given a handful of small drills "because I could probably find a use for them". Turned out to be left-hand cutting. Never seen a LH-cut router bit, though - I don't think that I need spindle reverse and I'm not sure why I ever thought of connecting it. "Because it was there", I suppose.

The wiring is going to be easy. It's decoding the inverter manual crypto-English that might be challenging when it comes to setting the parameters for external control! Still, there are plenty of posts around with guidance for that.
    Last edited by Neale; 20-06-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Well, that was fun! Couple of minutes to wire from CSMIO to socket on case. Then rather longer to work through the CSMIO manual to get the Mach3 and plugin configuration sorted. Seemed to be about 4 different config screens and tabs to find all the relevant places to configure things while remembering that "output" means something different to Mach3 and CSMIO, and that pin numbers are not necessarily output numbers. All good fun, but now the forward relay comes on when commanded from the screen and a quick check with a meter says that the PWM analogue output voltage is about right for the commanded spindle speed. In fact, with these settings, it looks as M3 or M4 will both actually switch the spindle forwards.

Now to do the equivalent with the VFD... Good luck, Neil - it's easy when you've done it once

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information