. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Or at the model railway club I'm a member of it was tea with no milk and 5 sugars!

I like that! Built a few, only got one left after regretably selling the rest and thats OO, brass scratch built.
    But still have my black 8, O gauge, never got painted, weighs 8lbs, fully sprung.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4933236...7625918196683/

If you browse abit, the Jinty is same construction technique but finished, still got a half built Scott somewhere.

Single flute cutters are good at plunging, but I still use ramping (spiral toolpaths) on the router. As long as the ramp angle isn't really steep it's much better.
    Oh yes, even better! My very very old motion card wont do that, 2D circles at 1/2 meter a second,xy yz xz no problem, spirals have to be done in small xyz interpolated steps, RS232 = sloooowwww. Which is why I'm really interested in a cheap pid servo controller doing 480Mbits instead of 9600 baud.

Tom
    Sherline lathe, Chester DB11V lathe, Myford/ Rodney mill, CNC mill Isel/ home made, Sealy Hack Saw, Meddings Pillar drill.

i put a 10 degree ramp over 20mm, and tboth the 2 and 3 flute cut loverly, alot less chatter..

i will start getting pictures up and videos tomorrow..

Ive been busy tonight moving my spare room shop around a bit to give me more room and space for my composites work..

Thanks for the replies guys

Stu

After sorting the spare room out fomr more space and a general tidy up i have started my YT video series with an intro

With all the stock i have, i have been wanting to mill some vice clamps instead of using nuts and bolts...

Still more to do but i wanted to get the basic shape done before dinner.

I will keep this thread updated more and more as i go

Stu

Nice! Although now I must have a Sherline head on my mill, sick of my 2 x deafening Kress heads! They do a 10,000 rpm one now I see.

Tom
    Sherline lathe, Chester DB11V lathe, Myford/ Rodney mill, CNC mill Isel/ home made, Sealy Hack Saw, Meddings Pillar drill.

Yeah, looking over the Sherline website, they do a 10k spindle pully set..im not sure wether it would reduce the power...

Ive kind took a back seat until i can get a probe setup, i keep finding myself getting fustrated that my cuts are sometimes off.

Altho i do have another video to post.

thanks for looking

Stu

final video for the vice clamp.

Going to get the new drip tray sorted and get making some chips

thanks

stu

Those are far too shiny. Did you just use a buffing wheel to polish them? The finish looks very even in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by cooliced View Post
    they do a 10k spindle pully set..im not sure wether it would reduce the power...
    If the pulleys just change the ratio of the existing motor then you will have the same power (minus a fraction for reduced efficiency) at 10k, but proportionately less torque as Power=torque*angular velocity.

Hi Jonathan,

I used a bit of 12000 Grit Wet and Dry with WD40, then Brasso lol

Ive seen a Rock Tumbler with walnut shells and it produces stupidly good results strait from the machine!

So with the 10k Pulley set would it be advised to take smaller cuts due to the drop in torque?

Thanks again

Stu

Yeah, but only use the 10k on small diameter bits (1/8 and smaller like 1/16), and, you will have to adjust the end float as well (sherline recommend this) to avoid heat build up in the bearing. You will loose about 3/4 of the torque you have right now. The current setup will probably handle a 1.5 inch throw flycutter, continuously for hours on end. I have no experience with running them fast. Unless you really need very small bits regularly and high feeds, I would actually stick with this set up, it has a long history of being very good and reliable. Unlike cheaper stuff, Sherline do seem to know what they are doing and how the machines perform so if they say adjust endfloat, best to do it. For occasional use of small bits, just take it easy? Just carefully cleaned the scroll of my Sherline 3 jaw chuck and bit down on some accurate ground bar, the run out is less than 0.0005" (0.012mm or resolution of my dial gauge). It's about 15 years old!

Tom

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information