. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyGeek View Post

When you say micro thin cutting disk..what thickness are they? I have some 2.5mm discs already...how would they do?

Got a quote earlier for 50mm box steel (3mm) it does work out a lot cheaper, so I'm going that route.

Need to get the workshop sorted, then get on to designing the frame.
    Well they will do if you have them but the 1mm thickness disc's really make light work of it. . . .Like these http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo.../NEW-Abrasives
    I don't even bother using an hacksaw to cut bolts etc anymore because these are just thin as hacksaw blades and slice thru bolts in seconds with perfect cut.

Edit: Ha ha ha . .The things we numpties will Argue over..!! . . . Thou it's nice to know it's not just me who argue's with Jonathan.!! . . . .Thou I agree with him completely on this occasion, less width = less friction obviously means less power & force required.!!. . Thats gota be a first eh Jonathan. .:lol:
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 19-10-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,910. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Jonathan, do you ever think that you overthink things too much?

If you're using a wider disc, feedrate isn't going to be the same. You could try and make it the same, but you'll need far more force than a multiple of the disc width difference, which then results in the disc wearing away quicker than it would normally (or clogging if you really push it), and most likely overheating the grinder.
    Plus using a proper grinding disc for grinding puts far higher loads on a grinder than cutting, and if you're wearing grinders out, you're either doing something majorly wrong, or you want to buy better ones.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Jonathan, do you ever think that you overthink things too much?
    I probably just did yes, but not having used one much myself I can only really judge from theory and finding sources.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    feedrate isn't going to be the same. You could try and make it the same, but you'll need far more force than
    Of course...So it depends on which the limiting factor is - the force / wear on the grinder or the power output for given duty cycle.

I'll leave it at that as I fear I'm going a bit off topic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information