. .
    hello, my name is paul from belfast, i have taken a great interest in all things cnc. i am really on the learning curve, as far as the CNC things goes. my problem is that there is so much information on net about CNC matters, that some times it gets very confusing.any way, i would love to build my own CNC machine, but here in belfast,it is hard to come across a supplier of good aluminum extrusions for to make the machine. could someone on this forum, kindly give me some help and assistance as where i can find good suppliers in the UK, for all things that i would need to make my own CNC machine. my ambition is to engrave profiles onto wood , and at a later stage , move onto some type of harder material , like stone etc. could someone suggest a good plan for my first machine?i would greatly appreciate any advice any one on this forum could give me. yours kindly paul, from belfast

Have you considered using steel box section instead of aluminium extrusion? It's much cheaper. Can cause problems with resonance, but there's ways round that.

Try:

http://www.kjnltd.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Have you considered using steel box section instead of aluminium extrusion? It's much cheaper. Can cause problems with resonance, but there's ways round that.

Try:

http://www.kjnltd.co.uk/
    tanks a lot Jonathan,for your reply . i went to the web page, that you mentioned,and there prices do seem fair. have you used this material yourself ? and can you explain what you mean , that you can have problems with resonance ? and how do you get around this problem ? as i say , i am a complete novice to all things CNC . i am trying to learn as much as possible ,before i start building this machine. it seems like a daunting task, to a novice. have you built your own CNC MACHINE, if i need any more help and advice , can i keep in touch with you.

yours kindly paul

Hi Paul

I bought my extrusion from here and got lots of advice from Philip Lambert. The extrusions are super quality and the heavy gauge 80x40 sections (4kg/m) are really strong!

Regards
    Mike

Thread Information