. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Hi I am now the proud owner of a newing hall Millgrav, an older model but in beautiful condition, my question is about the controller and setting up, as there is no instructions to show how to use one of these machines, is there anyone out there in cnc land who may have some written instructions that they might want to share???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	millgrav.png 
Views:	648 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	5044  
    Last edited by cncezee; 10-12-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cncezee For This Useful Post:

Sorry can't help but I have recently picked a fulling working Roland engraver up from a school, came with all software and book but to be honest it was that old fashioned. You had to jump through nested menus upon nested menus that I never even bothered plugging it in and ripped the dedicated boards out of it and will fit a combined Chinese 3 axis board which will be fine for such a small machine as this.

My reasoning behind this is that all the other home shop machines are on Mach and I don't want to learn another program, plus files will be interchangable between the router and this engraver if size allows.
    John S -

You could try this method:

http://xkcd.com/627/

:whistling:

School had a Roland PNC2300A, but after I'd gone the stepper driver (as you described - lots of menus) broke, so they just dismantled it for parts ... such a waste as it could easily have ran from a cheap Chinese board and mach3. Was a very useful machine ... my friend even cut Titanium on it!

That's the one I have Jonathan, the 2300A, also picked up the matching mill, a PNC3100, jogs but won't run a program.

That's going the same way, gut and transplant, waiting for a batch of driver boards from china.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    That's the one I have Jonathan, the 2300A
    What program have you tried to run it? We ran it just via Techsoft 2D Design V2. You just drew the part, drew contours for the toolpath and assigned different tools and depths to different colour lines. Then just print to the 2300.. I thought it was quite good since as you're actually drawing the toolpaths you have full control, easy to use system (though hard to do anything other than 2.5D).

(any news on those rails?)

Didn't try to run it but Vectric do a driver for it so presume it just sent it out a bit like HPGL via a printer driver.
    Came with all leads etc but as I say I don't want an orphan program.

Heading out there to measure up / photograph etc, email me your email address, don't think I have it.
    John S -

Lives in Wirral, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 02-04-2012 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Hi just found your post on a random google search, did you get anywhere with this? I spent about 10 years programing and running this machine so should be able to help you. You state the old model I take it the machine is fitted with the older style square white control unit not the apex model? Have just registered on here so drop me a line if I can help in anyway I will.

If you do have the old control unit you can only program basic commands via G-codes for general milling purposes, if you wish to use it as an engraving machine you will need suitable software for your pc, I very much doubt the old newinghall software will be available, plus their dongles cost lots! I will see what information I can dig out on it its been a while.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pars For This Useful Post:

Hi
    I have just joined the group, and hope to learn enough to be able to bring a machine to life.
    I started out building a gantry type Engraver/miller using a 4' x 2' surface table as the bed and weldments for the arms and overhead track. collecting endless ballscrews, slides, steppers and obsolete drivers along the way. The engineering evening class closed after a guy released a machine vice onto his foot, so the project was abandonned.
    I have bought a Newing Hall Mill Grav machine with the Apex1 controller upgrade, from a local business which closed after 80 years trading. The machine had no software as the firms office had been the victim of an arson attack. I have downloaded the only program available from Newing Hall which appears to be only a job setting out program, they tell me this obsolete machine is no longer supported. I expected to be able to plug the machine into the serial port and at least jog it, no such luck!
    Does anyone have any experience or information as to what is needed to have the machine talk to a computer.
    I have a demo version of Mach3 but presumeably this would involve bypassing the Apex controller altogether.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pars View Post
    Hi just found your post on a random google search, did you get anywhere with this? I spent about 10 years programing and running this machine so should be able to help you. You state the old model I take it the machine is fitted with the older style square white control unit not the apex model? Have just registered on here so drop me a line if I can help in anyway I will.

If you do have the old control unit you can only program basic commands via G-codes for general milling purposes, if you wish to use it as an engraving machine you will need suitable software for your pc, I very much doubt the old newinghall software will be available, plus their dongles cost lots! I will see what information I can dig out on it its been a while.

Hi
    Did you make any progress with your MillGrav? I am in much the same situation see my introduction first post (enclosed)

Hi
    I have just joined the group, and hope to learn enough to be able to bring a machine to life.
    I started out building a gantry type Engraver/miller using a 4' x 2' surface table as the bed and weldments for the arms and overhead track. collecting endless ballscrews, slides, steppers and obsolete drivers along the way. The engineering evening class closed after a guy released a machine vice onto his foot, so the project was abandonned.
    I have bought a Newing Hall Mill Grav machine with the Apex1 controller upgrade, from a local business which closed after 80 years trading. The machine had no software as the firms office had been the victim of an arson attack. I have downloaded the only program available from Newing Hall which appears to be only a job setting out program, they tell me this obsolete machine is no longer supported. I expected to be able to plug the machine into the serial port and at least jog it, no such luck!
    Does anyone have any experience or information as to what is needed to have the machine talk to a computer.
    I have a demo version of Mach3 but presumeably this would involve bypassing the Apex controller altogether.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Many Thanks

Mill Grav

Roger may not see your reply so i will give him a knudge for you
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Swarfing For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information