. .

Thread: Artcam

Well the Cnc machine should be up and running by Wednesday so now it's time to chose a good cam software to run along side vetric punch.

I have gone for artcam express 2011 for the simple reason I can afford it. £99.00 to start and you can (I think) add new functions to it, as and when you need them.

do you use this software and how have you found it.

My main uses will be 2d cuts and 3d (4th axis) barley twists

Have I chosen a good cam program ??

James:feedback:

I have not used artcam; however, after a lot of trials and errors with open source CAM software, I ended up liking CAMBAM. I had tried, Gsimple, pycam, kcam, all without success in doing all that I wanted to do. I asked the same question here and the rec was for CAMBAM. It have 40 evaluation uses. If you can keep it open, lot of designing with the eval version. The cost is $149, which is reasonable. Worth a look.

Good CNCing

Hi m8

I also picked artcam express not so much because of the price but from all the demos as it was the one I found easiest to use, but as far as I know it doesn't do 4th axis stuff as that's what I'm currently looking into. I found v-carve pro supports 4th axis flat programming, but not 3d so am now currently looking for something that supports 3d 4 axis work.

My only gripe with artcam is some of the tool setting seems a bit extreme like huge dropdown and stopovers, but you can change them so I did. As for price it actually works out to about £150 with vat and carriage as I found out.

:) Don

For 4th axis CNC-toolkit can do anything:

http://www.cnc-toolkit.com/

Unlike most CAM programs it's not just pushing a few buttons to get the result, you do have to do a bit more work but in general that leads to more flexibility. It's not easy to use, but the documentation is sufficient to work it out...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

sorry chip not bought artcam yet

James

Meshcam handles 4th axis,2 sided milling and BMP import:

http://www.grzsoftware.com/

Artcam can build into a very integrated way of designing then making the part, money saver when time is money.

Meshcam is a good CAM program, meaning learning other programs to handle the CAD side when time is more plentiful than money.

Cheers
    Adam

Thread Information