. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ok, so I'm always knocking out SMD surface mount circuit prototypes....most end up in the bin (!), but nevertheless a significant time overhead, having either etched or isolation milled the circuitboard is actually applying the solder paste!

I have a pneumatic dispenser (like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solder-paste...item27a93935b6) a compressor & can therefore do solder paste syringe dispensing by hand, but my hand/eye doesn't have the accuracy for smd SOT23 pads etc ....it's not worth making a stencil for a one off proto...so that has got me now looking at using the cnc machine itself to dispense the solder paste.

As ever, google was quite helpful....this guy in particular has a good pdf & video...http://ciciora.com/picknplace.html (which has a cool video of his cnc doing what I want mine to do too!)but he still leaves a bit of investigative work.

Ok, my questions mainly relate to one of procedure (vs hardware). Here's what I think I need (hw excluded, because like I say I have the hw to dispense)...

1. A way of locating the centre of every smd pad

2. A way off getting g-code to send a signal to my dispenser (it has a foot switch so any output signal could easily be converted to trigger this - the solder dispenser can be made to work manually....the amount of 'dispense' related to how long the switch is pressed, or it has a timed 'shot' feature)

Re issue 1 ..... the guy in that link above uses eagle (so do I) & a ulp called smd-coordinates.ulp ....it seems to output text info...he then used that info into a program called labview. I've never heard of/used labview...I'll check it out, but in the meantime if anyone can think of alternative (fast) way of getting the smd pad centre coords that would be cool.

Re issue 2 ....this is the bit that I have to hold my hands up & say right away...not a clue. I'm looking for a way using a CAM/CNC program to be able to map an 'action' to a coord. eg goto x1,y2 and output a signal (the signal I use to drive my dispenser)...so I need an output signal (coolant/mist? ....something like that which can be used to trigger my dispenser)

Any ideas or tips?
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 24-12-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Thread Information