. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hi John S & JazzCNC

You guys have got me going now and its late (got work tomorrow :cry: ) but I have revised the drawings with your suggestions in mind... its begiining to take shape and make sense.

Thanks guys

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_CNC_4k_hidden_lines_top.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	5106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_CNC_4k.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	5107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_CNC_4k_hidden_lines.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	5108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_CNC_4k_hidden_lines_front.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	5109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_CNC_4k_hidden_lines_side.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	5110  

2. Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Worth giving these people a call.
    http://www.ascmetalsgroup.com/northampton.html
    But please check price first.
    I bought 500mm long 2" aluminium round bar from ASC wolverhampton branch and paid £34 for it. AW price £62 for 2000mm long. So much overpriced. As an addition it was the worse piece of metal I've ever had .Totally un-machinable. Still have this piece of c.... in a garage.
    It was first and last time I bought from them. :cry: Very disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by wiatroda View Post
    As an addition it was the worse piece of metal I've ever had .Totally un-machinable. Still have this piece of c.... in a garage.
    It was first and last time I bought from them. :cry: Very disappointed
    It wouldn't be sat in my Garage.!. . . It would have been bounced back at them. . . . Like I tell my customers If you don't tell me about problems I can't fix them.!
    Thou I prefer customers don't have cause to complain in the first place I much prefer customers to complain in a polite manner rather than not so I can give a replacement has well as highlighting any potential problems which then get corrected.

4. [QUOTE=JAZZCNC;26511 Like I tell my customers If you don't tell me about problems I can't fix them.!
    Thou I prefer customers don't have cause to complain in the first place I much prefer customers to complain in a polite manner rather than not so I can give a replacement has well as highlighting any potential problems which then get corrected.[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right. Like your approach.
    The fact is I, as a customer agreed to pay this price (mostly bcos of unawareness of market prices) so there is no reason for price promise return. I used a bit of it, turning it first. If I wanted to knit aluminium jumper swarf would be perfect for this purpose.
    Then I broke few 2mm drill bits trying to drill it -different speeds, feeds various lubricants then gave up. When making my timing pulley video (drilling way) I used free-cuting ally- no probs at all.
    Anyway I'll keep it in any case- may be useful some day.
    Next time I'll check prices first before making any hasty shopping. Just didn't expected price to be so sky-high-different than from other suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by wiatroda View Post
    Next time I'll check prices first before making any hasty shopping. Just didn't expected price to be so sky-high-different than from other suppliers.
    Ye I know it really feels like a kickin the nuts don't it when you find it much cheaper else where.! . . . On this point when it's so blatantly over priced I agree with not going back. . . we all need profit to survive but then there's profitering pirecy.!! . . . .That's unacceptable to me too. . . .I was mainly referring to the bad quality of the material.

Like I said to John-S I've found with larger metal suppliers like ASC that if your not a company or don't buy on regular basis in decent Qty's they load the price.!
    Fortunatly I am Vat registered and thou my main business hisn't engineering related I do get away with out price loading for awhile but because I don't buy often it soon starts to creep up.!! . . . I don't mind paying slightly higher prices for smaller qty's or tariff Qty based charging but it should stay constant at least.!. . . This piss's me off.

Thanks Jonathan for the additional comments and feedback. More than 1 person saying the same thing is always encouraging!
    I am pretty much committed down the existing gantry route because I already have the ballscrews in hand and can't afford to buy anymore at the moment. My earliests thoughts on this was a metal version of the twin ballscrew- belt drive Solsylva design. I accept that the machine may have some limitations with aluminium milling but as this is a tertiary requirement, then I can live with that compromise for now. Wood, GRP, Plastic and CFRP are the priority at this time, hence the size of the machine in the Y axis. I am looking to source aluminium toolplate (6082 T6) and have found a reasonably priced source in Milton Keynes (MetalFast) but that was awhile ago so I will need to recheck.

Kind Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC38 View Post
    I am looking to source aluminium toolplate (6082 T6) and have found a reasonably priced source in Milton Keynes (MetalFast)
    Aluminium warehouse has tooling plate which may be cheaper? It's on the website in the same place I linked to earlier. They call it EcoCast.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC38 View Post
    I am looking to source aluminium toolplate (6082 T6) and have found a reasonably priced source in Milton Keynes (MetalFast) but that was awhile ago so I will need to recheck.
    AW is good like Jonathan says but you really only need tool plate quality in just a few key places, like the Z Axis front/rear plates or for the Bed etc.

Things like gantry sides and general end plates or bearing brackets, motor mounts etc can be got from cheaper flat bar stock, still 6082 T6 just not machined perfectly flat.
    The wider width's of flat plate stock can some times come slightly cupped but for none critical stuff or if machining several parts or brackets out of the width then it's not really a problem. . . Often just a quick surface will take away any cup. . . .Thou I must say the last few 300mm wide lengths I've had to deal with have been quite bad. The one I'm using at the moment is particulerly bad and if it wasn't for the fact I was cutting it up into smaller components then it would have been going back.!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Mikey now Knowing a bit more about your plans to use a single screw and looking at your design again then I think you may want to reconsider the width of the gantry and make the bearing spacing wider.! . . .That looks awfull narrow for a single ballscrew design making racking a big possibilty.? . . .How wide is it.?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Mikey now Knowing a bit more about your plans to use a single screw and looking at your design again then I think you may want to reconsider the width of the gantry and make the bearing spacing wider.! . . .That looks awfull narrow for a single ballscrew design making racking a big possibilty.? . . .How wide is it.?
    It is currently 125mm. I have updated the Z Axis design as you and Jonathan suggested and I was coming to the same conclusion as well. So the gantry sides are up for redesign. Perhaps 175 - 200mm width and up the material thickness to 20mm should do the trick. Eliminating the 'S' shape to make manufacture easier. My thoughts are that the router tool bit should ideally lie between the gantry bearings to reduce racking. Is this true? In the current design it does not (see side shot).

Thanks for the tip on using the toolplate in the accuracy-critical areas - should save costs

RegardsMike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_CNC_4l_hidden_lines_side.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	5119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MRC Z Axis 4.jpg 
Views:	2053 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	5120  
    Last edited by MikeyC38; 29-12-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: added revised drawings

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information