. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    So I get some time to play with my cnc mill and.. my 600W Kress has just given up on me. Bit anti social, bearings went and it sat there cooking till the fuse went! I smelled burning comming from the garage (generally a bad thing!). It was very hot and still smoking, although the fuse had tripped. I was having a lovely day playing with v carved fonts as well! Got an appropriate tounge lashing form SWMBO. It was 25 years old (RIP). I have a spare somewhere but it's put away in a box in the shed after being forced to clear up and it's too cold to look for it. So I'm on the proxon thing, a lovely DC head but, gets hot after 20 minutes or so, (Note: must make a water cooled jacket sometime).

Re v carve, I bought a bit but it has a 1mm tip. Does anybody know where I can get one with a point? Need two, a small one (1/8 shank) and a 1/4" shank, say 1/2" diameter, 60 degree ideally? Some of the fonts have very sleek sharp strokes which don't show up with a blunt ended bit. I must find the spare Kress as the largest proxon collet is 6mm. How annoying is that! Oh, my 1/4" taper reamer is put away too!

Happy New Year.
    Tom
    Sherline lathe, Chester DB11V lathe, Myford/ Rodney mill, CNC mill Isel/ home made, Sealy Hack Saw, Meddings Pillar drill.

I got some with a point from toolstation once, but either they've stopped selling them or I'm just not looking properly.

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    best luck for the rest of the year tom,get a water cooled job,you wont regret it,
    Agreed...

Spot drills often go to a point and they're available in lots of sizes, so you can do intricate carving with them. I did this one with a 6mm 90 degree spot drill:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08568 (Large).JPG 
Views:	358 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	5130Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08571 (Large).JPG 
Views:	374 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	5131

jon that looks stunning .mayan calender?what size is it
    Thanks... yes it's an Aztec/Mayan calender and I'm not sure which year! It's 150mm diameter, about 11mm thick. Now I bet you want to cut aluminium on your router again

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I got some with a point from toolstation once, but either they've stopped selling them or I'm just not looking properly.

Agreed...

Spot drills often go to a point and they're available in lots of sizes, so you can do intricate carving with them. I did this one with a 6mm 90 degree spot drill:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08568 (Large).JPG 
Views:	358 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	5130Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08571 (Large).JPG 
Views:	374 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	5131
    Oooo, thats nice. I tried a small dremmel thing but it snapped after ten minutes :-( My current solution is just to make the font's bigger until I can find one.

T
    Sherline lathe, Chester DB11V lathe, Myford/ Rodney mill, CNC mill Isel/ home made, Sealy Hack Saw, Meddings Pillar drill.

best luck for the rest of the year tom,get a water cooled job,you wont regret it,
    Cheers mate. It'll all happen when I get my lathe turned back the right way round! .. It got moved as well, extension over the garage, put me behind on projects for months!.

T

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Thanks... yes it's an Aztec/Mayan calender and I'm not sure which year! It's 150mm diameter, about 11mm thick. Now I bet you want to cut aluminium on your router again
    So if I'm reading it correctly, I'v egot until Dec 21st to find my spare Kress :-)

Nice work Jonathan. What did you generate the code with?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Vectric V-carve, except it wasn't me. Jazz kindly gave me the code which saved a lot of time! :tup:
    Quote Originally Posted by black5f View Post
    So if I'm reading it correctly, I'v egot until Dec 21st to find my spare Kress :-)
    Yes, ideally a bit before then.

Given the interest in this it looks like I forgot to post it on the forum at the time!

Might have to speak nicely to Jazz. I would like to give that a go.

Youve got plenty of time to find the spare Kress. The guy who carved the calendar couldnt find his spare chisel to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post

Ian
    Also interested in the details, how did you create the relief?

Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information