. .
    I saw the CNC Machine was coming to the end of the build so I've ordered a gear clock to make with Luke

we plan to make three or four for Christmas gifts for next year.

Now the plans have come they are all in old money (inches) so we have to convert them to new money but that's not the real problem

The real problem is all the drawing are on Paper and the supplier will not supply drawings in a DXF file

So what do I do

do I scan the drawings into Punch and draw over the top of the scanned line drawing and down load a gear program to cut the gears

What would you do ??

also can I be cheeky has any one got a 3d clip art drawing of a dragon (G-Code) as I would like to make a friend a coffee table with a dragon embossed in the top

James

Wednesday is the day to start the CNC up and start cutting hee hee

James, there are a few programs around to convert raster files to dxf files. You can also import a raster image into some versions of autocad then draw around then and save as dxfs. Ive done this a few times but it is time consuming.

Ian

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Web Goblin For This Useful Post:

Ian Thank you for the swift reply

I will look into it

James

5. Quote Originally Posted by luke11cnc View Post
    also can I be cheeky has any one got a 3d clip art drawing of a dragon (G-Code) as I would like to make a friend a coffee table with a dragon embossed in the top
    Try http://www.freevectors.net/search/dragon/
    or google dragon vectors.
    If you do torrents, there you should find massive vector packs

6. Forgot to mention. Corel Draw in a bundle have Trace program to convert images into vectors.

7. Inkscape I think can do it and I believe it can export into dxf. Might want to look there and is free. Which Punch did you get as one or 2 of them can import jpeg/bitmap as well.

Michael

James if you can scan the images then I can convert to vectors and save as DXf or striaght to g-code if you want.?

Edit: Can knock you something up using this dragon relief if you want.? . . .Just tell me size and shape of top plus depth of emboss.
    I also v-carved the red welsh dragon into the back of aztec calender ounce and that looked good, if you want DXF then I can extract the vectors for you. If you want V-carve then I need to know sizes etc.

Edit 2:Found model of v-carve to show.! (silver pics)
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 03-01-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Thank you Jazz

Yes please I would love the dragon size 400x500 or there abouts 25mm deep with a rebate around the inside to take a 8mm peace of glass oval in shape

so the carving is about 15mm deep

James

I found this the on another site, might be of use

http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk/

Thread Information