. .
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the warning. My intention is to get as much straight and parallel as possible but when setting out the various components I will use a dti on the important surfaces.

Cor if i new what i was doing i would be dangerous:naughty:
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

quick update. Y bearings are in and the rails screwed into the box. I clamped the ends just to push it back and forth and thankfully there is no hint of binding. Mind you I am sure you will tell me what I have done wrong....

Bruce
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010357.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	5354  

Just thought you might like to be updated. Thankfully shimming will be at a minimum as most of the crucial measurements seem to be reasonably close less than 0.1 degree.
    Still got to add pads to the base of the sides and bracing on the back.

Bruce

In case your wondering I have made sliding fit pads for inside the box. These have been threaded so the tie bars although going right through will not stress the box. Once I am happy with the build these pads will be locked in place with bolts.

Name:	y gantry.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	393.1 KB 
ID:	5404  

4. Well Done Bruce,

Coming along well and looking good. Keep it up and it will be running in no time flat.

Michael

Just a quick update. Been busy and work is about to kick in. The y gantry is almost finished, probably another 6 hours should see it done. The z is waiting on Michael Marino's machine becoming available and then we can machine the recesses in the plates.
    Going to see if i can coax my mate to do the welding of the frame for me. So it is progress just a bit slow. Would be quicker if i made less mistakes!

Bruce

Next update. Its now a rolling y chassis. The mounting plates above the x bearings will be cut down to size after i know where the ballnut bracket will be located. It does not look much since last time but I must have drilled and tapped 50 or so holes.
    If all the limit switches are connected in series would it make sense to mount them all on this gantry as this would mean only one cable going from the gantry to the control box?

Name:	rolling chassis 1.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	393.9 KB 
ID:	5514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rolling chassis 2.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	374.7 KB 
ID:	5515  

Quote Originally Posted by motoxy View Post
    If all the limit switches are connected in series would it make sense to mount them all on this gantry as this would mean only one cable going from the gantry to the control box?
    Yes With a bit of care and planning it's possible to use just 1 switch for each axis all wired in series. Doing it this way then yes it's possible to mount them all on the gantry.
    Basicly you need some kind of ramp or bracket either end of each axis to trip the switches.

Confession time now bruce I forgot to do what I've got to do.!!! . . . Will do it ASAP promise. .

Jazz there is no rush.

I take it that these switches are homing at one end and limit at the other? Or are homing switches separate?

You will notice that i am entering another area of simple and possibly obvious questions. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Looks like Michael is nearly ready to start on my z plate. Once that happens then hopefully there will be another lurch forward.

Hugs and kisses

Bruce
    Last edited by motoxy; 19-03-2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: senility

Quote Originally Posted by motoxy View Post
    I take it that these switches are homing at one end and limit at the other? Or are homing switches separate?
    NO for limit switch's to be any use then you need the switch to be tripped either end. Often 2 switch's are used per axis mounted static at either end but a single switch per axis can be used if fastened and travels on each axis then triggered by use of a ramp or bracket if mechanical. Optical or proximity type switch's are also good for this type of application as the can be triggered by static magnets etc.

Home switch's can be either separate or the limit switchs can be used as double duty. Mach3 knows the difference between when the switch is triggered as limit or home.!
    Basicly the switch is always treated as a limit while the machine is working but then when told to home temporely disables the switch as a limit and treats the switch as a home switch then when finished homing goes back to being a limit switch.

Just to let you know that this build is not dead I am thinking about the base. Steel box is 50 x 30 and 100 x 50. I intend to fix 10mm ally plate on top with an overhang that will support the screw/ motor. and give it some protection from debris. Therefore the rail and screw are fixed together and the critical factor should be lining up the left and right plates. Fillets will be added on the build.I really ought to start setting up the electrics now but this part does make me a little nervous so listen out for some stupid questions soon. :confused:Bruce

Name:	Base.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	5616  

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information