. .
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Well counted my chickens that time. When i looked closley at the first cutting it seemed to be alright but not perfect. When I tried to use the machine again it kept locking up. I assumed it was ball nut, bearing housings, bent screws. So I have spent hours moving, drilling stripping and rebuilding with varing amounts of success but never really solving the probleml. At one time I thought i had it beat but when trying to cut a design whole sections were out of alignment. I had Michael round to help plus a retired cnc fitter all to no avail.
    Today I decided to go back to basics and put up the dti and found I was losing steps on just one of my x drives. Chatting to dean I checked all the wiring and swapped the step settings from 1/8 to 1/4. The problem got worse and it would jam after 150mm. if I loosened the motor mounting nuts it worked. I could hear a ringing and thought nothing of it. Swapped the two motors and then neither would work properly. Finally I thought I would take note of deans advice and looked at the steps again. I changed it to 1/5 and instantly everything was just dandy.

I have put the machine back together and cut a new sign. It is so much better in quality and cleanness of cut.

All thats left to do is get the probe plate working but that will have to wait until another day.

Bruce
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	narley eagle.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	323.9 KB 
ID:	7001  
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

Well done Bruce, well that's 2 machines in Edinburgh I need to go & look at now lol.

Bruce you've met me and seen how little hair I have left.? . . . .Know your learning how it happened. . . Lol

Looks good and pleased could help.!! Resonance can be a right bitch if it gets you, thou must admit I'm surprised it did with using modern drives.! Thou from everything you had done and told me on the phone it was little else could really be.?

4. That is great to hear and really need to get some video up from some cutting I have done lately but between making models, feeding the machine and other work have not got it done. Great to see Bruce and keep on trucking.

Michael

fantastic build thread. fantastic ending. well done outstanding work. what an inspiration

Built my self a dust shoe over the weekend as I am at last fed up with holding the hose next to the work. I wanted one that 'floated' so that its height was not governed by the spindle. Mark 1 used screws to guide it and was a failure. So I decided to use bearings. These are inline skate bearings from another project. The brush is from a letter box draught excluder.
    I have a video which shows that it works really well.

Still cannot get the touch plate to work!!!

dust shoe - YouTube

The sign at the end is my first attempt at something a little more complicated.

Bruce

Well that about it. I now have the touch plate working and from here on in its just tidying and tweaking. I have cut some signs and other test pieces and I am very happy with the final product. This probably is the end of the build log so a big thanks to all of you who helped me complete this project.
    Any further updates or info I will just make separate posts.

Bruce

Congrats. Looks awesome and I love that floating dust shoe.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread Information