. .
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    You've got the newer VFD. You'll find the 4mm collet that came with the spindle is not brilliant as it only has 6 slots. That causes it to not grip the cutter as firmly or concentrically as collets with more slots. Get a set of the collets on eBay which have more than 6...

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Jonathan will probably know them straight off the top of his head.!
    I do actually, since before I got the second one I used to change them a lot...this is what I use:

PD004 and 5 are 400 (frequency)
    PD009 = 15 (intermediate voltage)
    PD011 = 120
    PD014 = 2.5 (acceleration time)
    PD015 = 2.5 (deceleration time)
    PD025 = 1
    PD072 = 400
    PD141 = 220 (motor rated voltage)
    PD142 = 8 (max current, amps)
    PD143 = 2 (motor poles)
    PD144 = 3000 (rpm display scaling - had to look that one up)

You'll probably find some, or even most of them are already set. PD003 is just the frequency it starts with on the display, so before you press run I'd set it to something low (say 50Hz) to check everything is ok then work up to 400Hz. Needn't worry about setting up the water cooling to start with as it'll easily survive the couple of minutes it takes to test without cooling.

For wiring ... 4-core shielded from VFD to motor, connect earth at machine (spindle mount is probably easiest) and frame and the other end to the earth connection in the VFD. 3 power wires from motor go to UVW in no particular order. If they're the 'wrong' way the spindle will start spinning the wrong way, so to avoid pressing reverse every time just swap any two of UVW wires (like you could on a stepper motor phase). Mains input to RST, pick any 2 any way round as it makes absolutely no difference (since it's just got a 3-phase rectifier in there) and remember the earth, otherwise you'll get a mains shock off the machine frame which gets less amusing after the first few times!

Also make sure the wire close to the spindle connector is clipped to the Z-axis so that there's no tension on the cable. The constant bending otherwise can cause various problems as the wire degrades (took me a while to find what was causing that one), or if you're unlucky it could snap/short and destroy the VFD and spindle. Not mentioning any names

This picture shows what I mean, though actually I took it to show the air cooling:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09239 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	298 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	5216
    Last edited by Jonathan; 12-01-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention wiring

Thanks guys. I will probably get a chance at the weekend to wire it up just to test. I have to order the ally now for the new gantry.

Bruce

Thats it ordered.
    Last edited by motoxy; 12-01-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    they wasnt off the top of his head when he blew up my inverter and tripped the house:wave:
    That was some time ago / first one I'd done except my own, sorry! Connected the output wires to the mains and the spindle to the input, it switched on as normal (as the protection diodes on the IGBTs will have rectified the mains to power it) and let me put all the settings in. When I pressed run it went bang and lots of smoke... got it to work again after replacing the IGBTs, but something else died after about 30 seconds and I couldn't work out what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Not mentioning any names
    What silly bugger would do something like that.!!. . :wave: . . . . . . . Thou I'm pritty sure this beats my expensive cock up.!:clap:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    That was some time ago / first one I'd done except my own, sorry! Connected the output wires to the mains and the spindle to the input, it switched on as normal (as the protection diodes on the IGBTs will have rectified the mains to power it) and let me put all the settings in. When I pressed run it went bang and lots of smoke... got it to work again after replacing the IGBTs, but something else died after about 30 seconds and I couldn't work out what it was.

and i was worried about dropping the balls out of the screw nut...........

If you are using Sketchup and Using SBr20 rails and rm2005 rails and screw from linearmotionbearings2008, then you can download my models into your models from the warehouse.

jcb121 thanks for that. I had already got 16mm rails before finding this warm and pleasent home they call mycncuk. Would still be interested in seeing your model. Iwill try and put mine up sometime.

Bruce

SBR16 is a bit small ... not the end of the world but 20 or 25 would have been nicer. Did you get 16 for X/Y/Z or just some?

Just the x and y. I still have to get some for the z and the screw.

Bruce

10. Yeah Bruce I know that feeling better then I want to trust me. Much better then I want to.

Michael

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information