. .

Thread: Coupling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is there any where near me where I can Buy 2 new GOOD quality 8mm x 10mm couplings as I bought cheap ones of ebay and they have snapped

one side twice and now the other side

Just as I was jogging for my second cutting job what a pain in the backside (I think the stepper motors are stalling on my x-axis)

I would like to pick them up tomorrow and not wait for the postman

James
    Last edited by luke11cnc; 04-01-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: add more text

Thank you chip I was going to arc euro Thursday anyway as I need 1/4" and 1/2" collets for the spindle so I will give them a ring first to see if they have the couplings I need

James

chip thank you for the help arc euro didn't have what I needed So I ordered from Farnell's and they are on there way

word of warning to any one thinking of ordering the cheap one's from eBay DON'T was your time and Money they are crap

James

James, do you have the Farnell part number handy?

They really shouldn't be snapping regardless of the price. Lower the feedrate limit on the X-axis by about 20% and see if that helps.

James,
    What sort of couplings snapped ? Surely not Oldham couplings ?
    John S -

Mocha the part number is 7075522

and it's the cheap couplings from ebay that are snapping

yes Jonathan I will slow the feed rate down and stop pressing shift key as well on the x-axis

James

Think it's these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-1-4-Fle...item4ab28737cb

If they're not well aligned then they will probably break do to metal fatigue.

So you'll have bought 7075546, 7075522 and 7002555...£16.28 per coupling.

From bearing station a 15T and a 30T HTD timing pulley plus 64T timing belt costs £15.55, £17.05 including postage.

I agree, these couplings do not like any misalignment. I have seem these snap many times before and it is normally due to alignment problems, but the also tend to flex a bit when trying to drive a heavier load than they are designed for. If there is any play in say the shaft they are connected to, ie if it can move back and forward slightly the coupling starts to contract and expand depending on the rotation direction and this weakens the coupling.

Ian

Jonathan
    I think pulleys are on the cards I will change after I've used the machine for a bit longer and worked out where to mount them

James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information