. .
    Lives in Edinburgh, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 08-01-2012 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 7.

Hi There

I am a sculptor looking to get this piece CNC'ed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manga_cloud_3_layout_70tl.jpg 
Views:	770 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	5183

The piece is currently approx 1 meter tall but I reckon I could get away with scaling it down to 65 cm in height. It may also be CNC'ed in sections and I can tig weld it together afterwards.

The budget is £800.

Is this possible?

Many Thanks

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manga_cloud_3_layout.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	5175  
    Last edited by dav; 08-01-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: change of dimensions on image

deleted post

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    would it not be easier to get it cast, or even 3d printed?
    I think casting would be easier. Perhaps get a former made from wood on a CNC router and use that to make the mould to sand cast it.

You can use either, but here wax is going to be easier as there's no obvious place to split the mould to get a former out.

Nice link from 'How it's made'- didn't know there were rapid prototypers that use metal, not plastic. How it's made is such a good program, even better if you mute it.

Lives in Edinburgh, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 08-01-2012 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I think casting would be easier. Perhaps get a former made from wood on a CNC router and use that to make the mould to sand cast it.
    Hi Jonathan

Yes I work in a sculpture fabrication workshop and have some access to a small foundry and resin bonded sand facilities, if the piece was able to be milled in wood ...and cast in sections say the cloud ,the body and the helmit I could cast these in aluminium and tig weld them together after. although the resin bonded sand, aluminium and gas would eat in to my £800 budget a bit. What would it cost to have the former's milled for a 65cm tall version in wood ?

Thanks
    David

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    You can even print the wax models for casting now,amazing stuff!!,if my shed and bank balance were bigger,id have it all:lol:

dave if this is an option to you, it might be worth you having a word with kevin at http://rapido3d.co.uk/ great chap knows his stuff
    Thanks Chip

I will send Kevin off the 3D file to see what he makes of it....yes if it could be printed in aluminium this would be amazing not sure my £800 budget would stretch to it though...

Hi Jonathan

Yes a former made of would could do the trick, I work in a sculpture fabrication facility and have access to a small foundry. If 3 former's for the piece could be made (the cloud, the body and the helmet) I could make 2 piece resin bonded sand moulds for each of the former's and cast them, the 3 cast aluminium pieces could then be tig welded back together. I would not be able to offer the full £800 though as I would need to take resin bonded sand, gas, aluminium and finishing etc out of the budget for it. What price do you reckon I could get the formers milled in wood for?

Many Thanks
    David

Thread Information