. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Well my cheap B&Q Performance Pro pillar drill finally succumbed, mind you the TIR as getting to the point where anything larger than a pin prick was coming out oval and size wise it struggled with 2 thicknesses of MDF in a drill press vice... So I need to find another drill press, preferably one that can cope with 60mm deep holes and can accomodate a reasonable size workpiece - so thnk I'm really after a floor mount with a reasonably deep throat - no jokes Lee or Kip please! :)

Any recommendations on new - I had a look in MachineMart catalogue and wasnt impressed - or sightings of a good secondhand one?

Must be single phase and up to 13mm capacity

Budget... well as little as possible!

have a loo in my gallery section for the pic of the one i have, out of all the £50 ones i looked at that one was the best for that price range mate. you'v seen some of the things i'v been making with mine, a power craft model that i got from Aldi, you know like the netto's stores they dont have them in all the time tho.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 30-01-2014 at 01:07 PM.
    .Me

3. what do we think of this one? on special offer... and it has a very big throat on account of its sliding head - ooooerr missus

4. Axminster do a similar one for £157 which is quite a lot less... got to do the comparisons....

5. Ok...decided against a new pillar drill but going to buy a mill instead...

So... a new 'chinese' mill.. or a secondhand 'quality' unit... what to do...

The stuffI have read on things such as the X2 etc at the £500-700 mark doesn't make great reading.. seems you have to be lucky to get one thats any good...

A secondhand ''British" machine of 10 - 30y old - Warco, Centrec, Elliot, etc would give a bigger (= more massive) machine for the same amount (looking on ebay and other used machinery websites) and by all accounts a worn older machine is still more accurate than a new one!

So any thoughts?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Bigger ie Bridgeport Ajax etc...Expensive ballscrews at the size needed for those....Power requirements makes those "business only" as in paying the electricity bill can be a chore, I recommend getting one as big as you need (with a little in reserve) , When I turn mine on it's never just for fun....once the PC PSU Suds and the mill are turned on the meter spins really fast.
    Not as big as a Bridgeport... dont have the room, but what do you think of these...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78ef_12.jpg 
Views:	731 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	100   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cf61_12.jpg 
Views:	1111 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	101  

I like the second 1 !

The first one is from the future, 2021 infact :p. Have you got an ebay link for number 2 ?
    .Me

8. Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Irving I've changed my mind...the one on the left is nearly new! :D
    and the one on the right is actually 15y old! Still it looks pretty good... the one on the left isnt as old as it looks and has seen very light use in a jewellers! Both are local to me... decisions, decisions...
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 27-10-2008 at 03:53 PM.

9. Naughty Lee, editing my post....

the one on the left will probably end up at about £1500 although I've found a another used one on the web at £3400... apparently they are well thought of...

Kip: what did you mean about the clamping bolts... and what non-round column mills are there in my proce bracket? A GH is way outside!

10. wouldnt get enough (looks around to check SWMBO not reading over shoulder)...

Is the WM16 in the same league as the Warco Minor (esp as this used one is only £350 at the mo)? and a WM16 is £900+

A WM14 is more my price but the 16 x 4.5 table is tiny....
    Last edited by irving2008; 27-10-2008 at 01:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information