. .
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    may i ask how much you are pricing all the metal work up to? i really like the look of this design and cant imagine mine being too far away from this so an idea of cost would be awesome, and if you could recommend the sites you've found your prices from that would be great

may i ask how much you are pricing all the metal work up to?
    I will do this at week end.

I've had another play around and came up with this idea, if this is any good i feel it would be easier to square every thing up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsj base and gantry.jpg 
Views:	1380 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	6609

Went to pick up my cheap box section 100mm x 60mm and it was bent, so left it. But got 2 pieces of RSJ 160mm x 90mm x 7mm x 2000mm for £20 on ebay and local for pick up. I've done a few more workings on my last design, but as there were no replies, it's probably no good. Am i going backwards in my design, i have an idea in covering the 2 outside ball screws using tumble dryer venting duct and curtain wire, it might work.

All the red/brown areas are 40mm x 40mm steel box section, that is reasonably priced. All the ali is 20mm except for the motor mounts where i have used 10mm, milled to 3mm for clearance.

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	500.9 KB 
ID:	6611Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	426.1 KB 
ID:	6612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor mounts.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	6613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side.jpg 
Views:	974 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	6614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z axis.jpg 
Views:	755 
Size:	570.7 KB 
ID:	6615

The screw lengths and rail lengths are still as quoted a couple of posts ago. I have at the moment got 1610 on the Z, reading through some other posts it seems i would be better with 1605 on Z, is that correct. Also I'm looking at going with 1:1 ratio with pulleys, would that be OK.

If i have made a big mistake with this design, please let me know. If you want the file to check it out, I'm willing to send it. I'm itching to place an order with chai.

Quote Originally Posted by deannos View Post
    I'm itching to place an order with chai.
    That makes at least two of us Dean! I'm finding that the tweaking, particularly around aligning multiple pulleys and belts, is taking quite long but reckon it's worthwhile getting this right up front in the virtual world.

Btw, your design is looking great to this newbie. It amazes me how many design permutations there are... Suppose it's a good thing as it provides more ideas for us all to crib!

Dean go with 1605 for the Z axis for the extra resolution. Speed won't be a problem over this short distance.
    Also the plate on the rear of the Y axis isn't needed and just costing money and weight it adds very little to strength. Seen has you have room on the Y axis at each side then if you want to stiffen up the joint between bearings a front plate then just use a " L " bracket plate on the side. This will add much more strength for fraction of the cost.
    Thou if you use decent sized bolts then even this isn't needed.!

Regards the Gantry design then again I urge you to have some form of gantry sides that ties into the bearing plates which fasten to the RSJ. This will help greatly with twist and resonance, if you don't then I think you will have some.?
    Gantry sides that dropped would allow the screw bolt to the web of the RSJ and do away with stuck up in air screw.? Both will work but dropped its out the way of chips and being caught with material etc when loading.!

Right taken on board what Jazz has suggested and more or less gone back to my earlier design. Instead of 2 steppers on the X, i will use 3 belts and 1 stepper.

Name:	front a.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	312.9 KB 
ID:	6617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front b.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	548.2 KB 
ID:	6618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	881 
Size:	336.2 KB 
ID:	6619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	396.5 KB 
ID:	6620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	465.5 KB 
ID:	6621

looks awesome now get it built and inspire me please :D

Quote Originally Posted by deannos View Post
    Right taken on board what Jazz has suggested and more or less gone back to my earlier design. Instead of 2 steppers on the X, i will use 3 belts and 1 stepper
    Just the sides would have been enough.? How wide is this machine.? Looks wide so I'll warn you belts this wide are not easily found and you may have to get them custom made.? I did and my machine looks narrower than yours.!
    Has much as I don't like slaved steppers I have to say at this width then they may be a better option,! And despite having to tune them slightly slower to stop stalling/racking then With 10mm pitch screws you'll still get decent speeds for cutting wood so shouldn't be too much of an issue.! . . If your feeling flush with cash Buy some of the lead-shine digital drives and you can even be protected from racking if you take advantage of the anti-stall feature built into them.!

While I'm here and commenting then got to say not keen on the Z axis setup either.? your putting all the weight of the stepper and screw with it's bearing blocks on the front plate.??
    Looks like you have plenty of length to the back plate to switch them round putting screw and motors on the moving y axis so just ball-nut is attached to front plate. The Z axis then only has to lift it's own weight plus spindle so higher acceleration can be achieved. Higher Acceleration is very handy on the Z axis esp when it comes to 3D work or V carving etc.

Sorry to keep throwing curved balls but you keep sticking your head up .. .Lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Just the sides would have been enough.? How wide is this machine.? Looks wide so I'll warn you belts this wide are not easily found and you may have to get them custom made.? I did and my machine looks narrower than yours.!
    It's just over 1500mm wide, so gone back to slaved motors

While I'm here and commenting then got to say not keen on the Z axis setup either.? your putting all the weight of the stepper and screw with it's bearing blocks on the front plate.??
    Changed it round as you suggested

Sorry to keep throwing curved balls but you keep sticking your head up .. .Lol
    Keep throwing them Jazz, would rather i cock up on the design stage then make a lemon.

Name:	front corner.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	374.0 KB 
ID:	6626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front measurement.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	243.4 KB 
ID:	6627Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front rear.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	293.9 KB 
ID:	6628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z axis.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	552.4 KB 
ID:	6629

11. Nice looking design. One question is are you planning on indexing your plates and rails? Not only to make assembly and truing of the machine much easier but also to allow for maintenance and any type of take down that might need to happen during the life of the machine. Outside of that, looking really nice and best of luck with the build. Jazz is quiet correct in that IF you can afford digital drivers go with them; I upgraded to AM882's and the difference is night and day. I have had my machine up to 11.5m/min acceleration with 2.25m/sec^2 acceleration and not have it stall (It is a bit scary seeing that speed on my machine). My normal setting is 6.5m/min V and 1.5m/sec A and I have nice smooth movement. I have done basic tuning on the drivers and have the dampening tuned to mid zone.

Michael

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information