. .
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Well..its arrived! :) Our chinese 4030 cnc machine....no tracking number...no email communication...but delivered this morning. It was very well packaged and looked as if it needed to be! I assumed it started out box shaped but there were no edges visible on delivery! I rolled it from my front door thro to my kitchen where it will live for a while!

Everything survived intact, no damage and the spindle works fine, quieter than i thought it would be although it might sound a lot louder when actually milling some material. Now just need to cobble together a working pc with xp to run mach3.....to be continued!

If you are stuck for a PC I have just bought a job lot, all installed with XP, COA sticker and license, Mach 3 installed and tested [ no license - demo only ] and a few freebie programs like CAD and a DXF convertor
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    If you are stuck for a PC I have just bought a job lot, all installed with XP, COA sticker and license, Mach 3 installed and tested [ no license - demo only ] and a few freebie programs like CAD and a DXF convertor
    I have lots of pc bits and pieces that we have accumulated through the years John, but if i cannot cobble one together then you might just have the answer

How much are you asking for one of those machines?

Mine has arrived too, all perfect, extremely well packaged. Tomorrow I'll try to install emc2 to check if it's working ok.

Quote Originally Posted by modcube View Post
    Mine has arrived too, all perfect, extremely well packaged. Tomorrow I'll try to install emc2 to check if it's working ok.
    The tracking number arrived in my email this morning...the machine was delivered yesterday lol

Not used it in anger yet...getting our heads round mach3 etc...should be able to give it a run tomorrow for real!

The spindle has dead, it started to smell really bad and after that (2h of non continuous use) it stopped working, one coil is burnt. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120213_201451.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	5352

Have you measured the resistance across the coil to confirm it is broken? If it is, then you might be lucky enough to find the break and solder in a bit of new wire. However that is probably hoping too much as the wire has enamel on it to stop it shorting to the other strands next to it, and if it got hot enough to brake, then the enamel around that wire and others near it will also be melted. You will have a number of shorted turns. Anyway you might manage a repair but most likely to need a replacement.

... if you do, can I have the broken motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Have you measured the resistance across the coil to confirm it is broken? If it is, then you might be lucky enough to find the break and solder in a bit of new wire. However that is probably hoping too much as the wire has enamel on it to stop it shorting to the other strands next to it, and if it got hot enough to brake, then the enamel around that wire and others near it will also be melted. You will have a number of shorted turns. Anyway you might manage a repair but most likely to need a replacement.

... if you do, can I have the broken motor?
    Yes, I measured the resistance to confirm it's broken. As you mentioned it seems it has melted so it can be very difficult to fix. I will contact the eBay seller (love-happyshopping) and I'll try to get a new one (the product page says: "1 years free warranty"). I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by modcube View Post
    The spindle has dead, it started to smell really bad and after that (2h of non continuous use) it stopped working, one coil is burnt. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120213_201451.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	5352
    Do you think it was a "refurbished" unit? Is there any sign of wear around the area where the brushes run?

Did the spindle jam on a cut?

That's a bummer but at least it will give us an insight into how good the warranty / claim setup is from the Portsmouth guys if you can keep us in the loop ?
    John S -

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information