. .
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by camhguh View Post
    Thanks for the input guys! Yes i have tried it with the spindle not running, didnt make any difference! As soon as its finished milling the current bits and pieces then will have a look to see if i can pin it down.

Thanks for the link Modcube...looks like its a known problem with these machines?....hope this one's the same...easy fix!
    OK..had a chance to investigate further but not resolved yet....been able to confirm that its a cable problem but unable to track down where exactly. Have to try and keep it going for the moment because we need the parts lol.

Checked out the control box internal wiring which appeared ok...no loose wiring etc and everything solidly bolted down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    If that's the only problem it implies the direction setting for Z in mach 3 is set the wrong way. Could try going to "Config"->"Ports & Pins"->"Motor Outputs" then changing "Dir LowActive" on the line for Z. However if it's working fine in another place that's not going to help you. The only things that can change the motor direction is the state of the direction pin on the stepper driver, or changing the polarity of either phase. The latter surely cannot happen, so I'd put a voltmeter on the Z-axis driver direction pin and see if it looks right.

Whereabouts are you in Nottingham? I'm at University of Nottingham so if you don't get it sorted today I'm happy to come and have a look as it shouldn't be far?
    Sorry i missed your offer to come and sort us out Jonathan, lol, much appreciated mate!

At the moment we are able to run ok on approx 50% of the bed without problems which enables us to continue and produce parts (for the moment anyway!)

In the meantime I will make up a new cable if i can work out what the connectors are!

Quote Originally Posted by camhguh View Post
    Sorry i missed your offer to come and sort us out Jonathan, lol, much appreciated mate!

At the moment we are able to run ok on approx 50% of the bed without problems which enables us to continue and produce parts (for the moment anyway!)

In the meantime I will make up a new cable if i can work out what the connectors are!
    Try the yellow cable that connects to the Z axis connector on the parellel board. I had a similar fault and it turned out to be loose in the socket.

Phil

Thanks for the suggestion Phil!

I made up a new cable this evening and although i havnt tested it in anger yet, the z axis does seem to work ok while moving the gantry back and forth.

Hopefully problem solved!!

Bugger me my machine went and did this yesterday.!! . . . I've just transfered all my control box into a new larger box. . . . I knew straight away what it was and to be honest I'm embaressed that I didn't think about it in your case.

It's one of the Dir pin wires thats either come out at drive or connection/wire come lose in motor. To be honest I didn't expect it to behave how it did.? I expected it would only move in one direction but it infact it was moving in one direction then changed direction randomly.!!

LOL , its catching, must be a virus going round!

Anyways were back up and running ok after replacing the cable...must have been a spot somewhere along the length of the cable where there was a breakage but making contact depending on where the gantry was positioned.

Thanks once again for all your input its been very helpful and much appreciated as usual!

Ho Hum...now what?...the spindle motor brushes have worn out!! After approx 6hrs intermittent running!!

Plus the remains of one have dropped inside the motor..lol..

So the saga continues....

Should still be under warrenty shouldn't it.?? . . Or is that has much use as the spindle.!!

Got a single speed Kress here if you are stuck and a mounting.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Got a single speed Kress here if you are stuck and a mounting.
    Thanks for the offer John, not had a chance to take this piece of crap apart yet to see if its recoverable...will do so tomorrow and decide what's best way forward.

Edit: Stripped it down and cleaned out gunge and brush/spring remmants etc.
    Bottom bearing dosnt feel right but will run it later to test.

Ran it but its eating the brushes and sounds terrible...probaly bearing problems..
    Last edited by camhguh; 27-02-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: update

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information