. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Back currently not good so I have spent a couple of days downloading and playing with as many demos as I can find. I have come to realise that I will probably not find one size fits all. I have tried cambam, cut2d, artcam express, sheetcam and freemill. Freemill seems to be quite good for 2.5d using stl files. So a combination of that for free and cut2d may do what i want for now.

Unfortunately I have a problem with freemill. When I post the code I get the error message -'Fail to write to external file'. I have tried to change permissions on the files but seems to have no affect. Any thoughts?

bruce
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

Just guessing, but if you have the file (or a file with the same name) open in mach3 and try to write to it at the same time you get that error. Try changing the file name or closing it in mach3 if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Just guessing, but if you have the file (or a file with the same name) open in mach3 and try to write to it at the same time you get that error. Try changing the file name or closing it in mach3 if that's the case.
    HA! Now that is probably the problem.........I do not have Mach3 loaded yet....:whistling:

You is a genius Jonathan. I will have a go and load up mach3.

Bruce

Okay Jonathan you can take your genius hat off for a moment. Mach 3 running and still no joy. The freemill forum say that it probably is lack of permission to save data where it wants to . I have tried to change the permissions on the fremill folder but it keeps stopping me. Not to worry I will now have a play with the mach3.

Regards
    Bruce

BTW 1st of the ally arrived today.

Quote Originally Posted by motoxy View Post
    Mach 3 running and still no joy.
    That's not quite what I meant. I meant if the if mach3 is running with that file open any program can't write to it.

Have you tried saving to a different folder, or if that's not possible and it just defaults to the freemill directory then move freemill to somewhere you definitely have permission such as my documents.

Btw to play with mach3 if you installed the parallel port driver you'll need to disable the Estop. If you tick the active low box for Estop in config->ports and pins->input signals that will invert the input so mach3 'thinks' the Estop is not activated and lets you play...

Thanks for that Jonathan. Tomorrow I will try moving the directory. It may not work as it is the freemill directory itself that appears to be the problem. There are very few options on freemill.

Thanks for your help and goodnight

Bruce

7. Downloaded the Freemill to just see how it runs. Nice freeware, won't work for what I do but for open or single piece type work pretty nice software. I will see if I can find the same error and the fix for it. Have you gone to the forum they have for the software to see what they have to offer in the way of information?

Michael

Thread Information