. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks for the feedback everyone - I have been trying to reply but I think because I only just joined my messages are sitting waiting for moderator approval.

JAZZCNC - that model you have done is pretty much spot on what I am after, just the pillars need to come flush with the outer sides, and be a bit smaller in diameter. Would you be able to make a sample for me? I need to check the fitment with the bag manufacturer, if they give it the ok then I'd be ready to order the 20 to start (obviously price permitting, if you can give a rough quote that would be very helpful - I know they won't fall into the 'cheap' category, but the lower the better :) ).

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    penny washers could be an alternative to the backplate

Thanks again to all for the feedback!

i2i - I think you are right about using washers instead of the backplate, originally it was bigger to spread the weight and ensure the bag kept it's shape, but having reduced the size probably washers will suffice.

The screws have to pass through the handle strap in order to secure it, so they cannot go into the sidewalls of the part. Plus I need to keep the same 3mm wall thickness all round for cosmetic reasons.

Would it be helpful if I made up a 3D model of the exact size / shape? If so what kind of format would you guys require?

I'd love to hear from anyone who would like to take this job, I'm keen to get started on it.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    looking at the threaded spigots, they would need to be 4 - 5mm diameter, and i would expect they would need to be 5mm to have enough strength. Which will leave a thin edge on the strap.
    Last edited by i2i; 01-02-2012 at 05:01 PM.

I could bring the spigots inwards to give more of an edge to the the strap. I did have a thought - do you think using blind rivets would be ok instead of screws? That way the need for tapping the threads would be removed, which would make it simpler to make, and I assume a fair bit cheaper too.

Barry Replyed to your PM.

There are still some fundamental flaws with the design. The spigots needs to go through the handle so there needs to be support sown into the handle (plastic strip) or this thing is just going to pull apart very quickly. if you were going to market these with a chain they would be putting samples you put in front of them through the ringer. Barry you also need to think about the material supply cost as well, Like jazz has said the first outlay could be expensive.

Look at what others do, generally they rivet or sow the handles to the bag then put a decorative cover over the top (these could be similar to what you want in looks). These covers are normally pressed parts (looks cheap), i don't know what your retail cost of this bag is but the cost can spiral quite high if you do not understand a bit more with the manufacture costs (this is not a dig just an enlightenment call).

It would be interesting to see what your alternatives are?
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

do you need two spigots, one would be a better solution all round.

does the block physically clamp the strap, or just cover it?

Thanks for all the input, I am reading it all and taking it onboard, replying is hard because it takes a while for the mod to ok my posts (any idea how I can get approved to post straight away?)

2e0 - thanks for the tip of using plastic in the strap, I will do that. The bag manufacturer has told me that screws or rivets would be best for securing it. I did think of making this piece just cosmetic, but then I can't see how to fix it securely in that case. Any suggestions are welcome.

I2i - one spigot would help keep more strength in the strap, do you think the rivet would hold it tight enough not to rotate though? It is going to clamp the strap in place.

Cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information