. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hello,

I am looking to get made some simple brass handle fixings for a handbag. The drawings can be see here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	handle-fittings.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	5282

I need them to have a nice clean finish to them, suitable for electroplating afterwards. I'm hoping someone can help me out with these as I've had no luck when contacting manufacturers. I'm looking initially for 20 to be made, and if things go according to plan then more would follow.

Thanks,

Barry
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 01-02-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Looking at that profile view making a gustimate on the hole depth then you would only be looking at 2ish mm deep hole? that would not be enough to make a thread without drilling all the way through? It would be better to go through completely and look at pins with a peened over head instead maybe? it would keep costs down for you as well because you could do the peening yourself with a one off tool made for you?

Just a thought
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Thanks for the feedback, drilling right through is not an option as that top face is the cosmetic part that needs to have the clean finish.

I've modified the drawing to use two threaded pillars instead, does this seem workable?

Name:	handle-fittings-v2.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	5284

Yes and no? this is where design clashes with manufacture and i am a fan of both. You need to think about how it would be accomplished and will those pins need to be fitted into the sockets or machined as 1? plus the threading? gluing? what are the downsides? etc

Assuming these are for fixing the fabric handles to the bag then a single pin across the maybe more acceptable (think watch strap). A hole can go straight through and a pin which could be polished or ground down to meet the surface afterwards. Yes the fabric would need to be folded and stitched maybe? This would be less noticeable?
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

I think it will need to be a single piece, although I'm not sure. Essentially the outer faces need to be clean and crisp, the inside of the 'U' doesn't feature cosmetically. I see what you mean by the 'watch strap' approach, unfortunately that wouldn't work with the design of the handles. I've attached a crude picture that might help clarify things:

Name:	handle.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	5285

The brass part needs to be fully outside of the face of the bag, and the backplate goes behind - only the screws pass through the bag facing, otherwise the leather will be weakened too much.

Would it be technically possible to make these as a single piece do you think?

(duplicate removed)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	handle.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	5286  
    Last edited by barryg; 01-02-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Seeing as these are brass and will be plated how about drilling through and braze,solder in two studs, Buff and plate it should not be noticeable.

Just a thought

Bruce
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

So basicly you want this.!! (See pic)

The machining in it's self aint a big deal but one off's are not cheap to make, even 20 would be not be enough to make them at low cost. Expect to pay a premium price. How much was you expecting to pay.?

EDIT: Why not have it this why regards bolt hole,would mean having the side piece's slightly wider but easier and better looking IMO.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 01-02-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    you could make a short hole and solder or braze threaded rod into the block.

Are the threads for clamping bolts that come from the back plate through a strap to the block.

Great minds think alike Jazz, i was going to suggest threaded holes on the risers of the block.
    Last edited by i2i; 01-02-2012 at 03:05 PM.

I hate sensor ship!! . . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information