Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
  1. #141
    I'm wiring up the spindle and have another question.

    There's 3 wires for the 3phase power along with a ground. Can I identify which pins are the correct one's for the power and which is the ground? I notice the GX16 connector that these spindles use have their pins marked 1-4. I assume 1-3 are power and 4 is ground?

  2. #142
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post
    I'm wiring up the spindle and have another question.

    There's 3 wires for the 3phase power along with a ground. Can I identify which pins are the correct one's for the power and which is the ground? I notice the GX16 connector that these spindles use have their pins marked 1-4. I assume 1-3 are power and 4 is ground?
    Ant Think you'll find the 4th hisn't connected to anything.? Just test with circuit tester and you'll get no readings from that pin when connected either to any of the other pins or body.

  3. #143
    Its not connected? Seems a bit silly. I was going to ground the spindle with that and also use it to complete the circuit for the tool height probe too. How did you ground yours?

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post
    Its not connected? Seems a bit silly. I was going to ground the spindle with that and also use it to complete the circuit for the tool height probe too. How did you ground yours?
    Mine hisn't grounded and it doesn't need to be.! The VFD takes care of the EARTH side just make sure the VFD is EARTHED and it will be fine.
    You could if you wanted belt and braces safety introduce a EARTH wire direct to the EARTH point in the control box but this is very different to DC ground the I/O's use.?
    If the spindle shorts internally the VFD will trip so power will be cut and 99% of time this is fine.!! But if for some unlucky reason it didn't then the earth would leak back to the PCB trip so it does make it slightly safer.! . . . BUT. . .It can also work against you in some case, esp with a VFD, by using the long wire has an antena sending out electrical noise.?

    Dont confuse the AC earthing to DC grounding that the I/O pins use.? Yes effectively they both end up at the same place but they are done very differently.
    When your probing your complelting the DC circuit from the PP I/O pins which is low voltage low amps. If the machine frame is EARTHED and the spindle hisn't isolated thru bearings etc then often the circuit will complete because like I say the ultimately end back up at the same place EARTH.! . . Often and I'm 99% sure will be the case for you the spindle will return to Earth and allow the DC input circuit to complete.! . . . Again if you want belt n braces approach or for some reason the spindle is isolated then use a wire DIRECT from the DC negative pin of the BOB input NOT the EARTH of the control box and agian to avoid noise issues just use a temporey crocodile cliptype affair.! (BUT I'm 99.9 sure you won't need too)

    EDIT: Do recommend you run a short as possible EARTH wire from star point in control box to the machine frame just in case of AC short of any kind. This will also more than likely be enough to allow the negative side of the DC input a path back to complete circuit.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 22-07-2012 at 05:13 PM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:


  6. #145
    I bought a strike CNC balls up this year, it too was a month+ late and had all the above faults and more. It was supposed to have traverse speeds of 6m/min+ but Michael Powel advised that 6 would be best, to date I can only run at 2m/min. I went through the control cabinet and reconnected all the wires as they had been stripped too far and were also all loose one fell out of the emergency stop switch.
    Is Strike still going or have they gone bust as they are'nt answering any cals or emails?

  7. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by jimg100 View Post
    I bought a strike CNC balls up this year, it too was a month+ late and had all the above faults and more. It was supposed to have traverse speeds of 6m/min+ but Michael Powel advised that 6 would be best, to date I can only run at 2m/min. I went through the control cabinet and reconnected all the wires as they had been stripped too far and were also all loose one fell out of the emergency stop switch.
    Is Strike still going or have they gone bust as they are'nt answering any cals or emails?
    Sorry to hear of that Jim. Its a horrible feeling isn't it.

    I assume Strike CNC are still active because I had an email from them saying they were taking legal action against me for the contents of this thread.

    My advice is to do what I did and contact Trading Standards giving them a full and detailed report of situation your in and the faults with the machine. If you believe it was dangerous tell them that too and why. Even better if you have photographs.

    Here's the details for trading standards and citizens advice along with the telephone number for both. You might be better off finding your local trading standards office and calling them, I did this.
    http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/index.cfm
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/
    08454 04 05 06

    Good luck and keep us updated.

  8. #147
    If he does take legal action it will be good as it will be at his cost and if we stand together there is no way he can win, we may even get some money back or our machines sorted.I am just putting my X axis back with new SKF bearings as the 4 supplied gave up the ghost.
    I have kept all my emails from him and have taken pictures of all the poor machining including the mods I have had to do to achieve a 150mm Z axis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post
    Sorry to hear of that Jim. Its a horrible feeling isn't it.

    I assume Strike CNC are still active because I had an email from them saying they were taking legal action against me for the contents of this thread.

    My advice is to do what I did and contact Trading Standards giving them a full and detailed report of situation your in and the faults with the machine. If you believe it was dangerous tell them that too and why. Even better if you have photographs.

    Here's the details for trading standards and citizens advice along with the telephone number for both. You might be better off finding your local trading standards office and calling them, I did this.
    http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/index.cfm
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/
    08454 04 05 06

    Good luck and keep us updated.

  9. #148
    When the machine first arrived Strike helped me over the phone to setup and part of that involved changing some DIP switches on the drivers.

    Here's what I found in the control box on closer inspection.


    • 230v wires exposed out of the estop
    • 230v live wire sheathing damage potentially allowing for contact with the chassis
    • No chassis ground so if the above happened your going to get electrocuted
    • DC Wiring colour coding reversed in places and then in others its as you'd expect.


    I've attached images of these and informed Strike back in February when they came. The issue was side stepped and I took it upon myself to completely strip out the electronics and re-wire to a safe standard.

    Jimg100. Is this the sort of thing you saw on your machine?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0682t.JPG 
Views:	335 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	6405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0685t.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	6406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0687t.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	6407  

  10. #149
    Regulations in the UK on estops state they must be 48 volts max,
    John S -

  11. #150
    Almost exactly the same all the wires going into those green plugs had been stripped to far and so there was approximately 6mm of bare copper with odd strands that were not clamped and so a possible short and several wire were not clamped tightly enough and I pulled them out easily.
    Is it ok to put my phone number on here as I would rather talk on the phone?

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Best all round mill/router? Vertical mill or gantry router?
    By Richard in forum Machine Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-02-2014, 04:18 PM
  2. Strike CNC
    By GMCNC in forum Marketplace Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-10-2012, 08:06 PM
  3. Your Opinion MK2 .. STRIKE CNC machine
    By PWD in forum Milling Machines, Builds & Conversions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-05-2012, 03:49 AM
  4. Strike CNC
    By Strike CNC in forum Manufacturer News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-02-2012, 10:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •