. .
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Hi Robin,

I won't get chance to do anything with the machine for another week or two. As soon as its up and cutting I'll post a video and details on here.

Ideally I'm looking at cutting at 2000mm/min with 5mm DOC with 8mm dia cutter in MDF. I'm building loudspeaker cabinets and not space shuttle parts so for real world tolerances on parts I'll be happy with anything better than +/-0.2mm.
    Last edited by Shinobiwan; 20-02-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Hey folks. After a spell of disappointments I've been wanting to update this thread with good news for awhile now

Its a long and probably not that interesting story but the original machine had issues with flex and play in the Z axis. With the help of JazzCNC(thanks mate) I found out the causes and took this information back to the manufacturer who did the right thing and agreed to rebuild the gantry. We stuck up a deal whereby they agreed to upgrade some of the gantry components because of inconvenience caused and I paid extra on top for them to use heavy gauge 200x40mm extrusion. You could argue that it should have been built like that from the start but I'm more interested in cutting now rather than questioning manufacturer build decisions. The important thing is its fixed and looking good for materials up to aluminium.

Jazz is sorting out some changes to the way the X axis ballscrews are mounted and I've still got a bunch of odd jobs to do here and there but I reckon it'll be cutting its first part within the next couple of weeks.

I've attached a few shots of the new gantry. Compare these to the original posted on page 4 of this thread. Looking in much better shape now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc15.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	5548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc13.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	5549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc14.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	5550   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc10.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	5551   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc11.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	5552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc12.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	5553  

I feel your pain But glad your machine has been returned and you are happy

did you get the controller box upgraded at the same time??

Looking forward to seeing the first set of speakers coming off your CNC Machine
    James

Quote Originally Posted by luke11cnc View Post
    I feel your pain But glad your machine has been returned and you are happy

did you get the controller box upgraded at the same time??

Looking forward to seeing the first set of speakers coming off your CNC Machine
    James
    Cheers James.

The electronics supplied with the machine were OK but I wanted to more speed. To help with this, Strike did give me a 60v regulated PSU as part of the compensation but I had a change of plans and went with a pair of unregulated 70v supplies for the four drivers. I've taken it upon myself to upgrade the electronics and have got a lot of enjoyment out of doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post
    Its a long and probably not that interesting story but the original machine had issues with flex and play in the Z axis. With the help of JazzCNC(thanks mate) I found out the causes and took this information back to the manufacturer who did the right thing and agreed to rebuild the gantry.
    Now there's a surprise. Lets hope StrikeCNC do better with future machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Now there's a surprise. Lets hope StrikeCNC do better with future machines.
    Well that's it. They did fix the issues and added a bunch of extra's on to the machine for the hassle. Building two gantrys surely wasn't much of an exercise in maximising profitability so I'm sure they'll learn from this and use it to avoid similar situations.

I don't really care about it now to be honest, once its up and cutting I doubt I'll remember at all.

Do you lot know how hard it was for a bloke with a BIG MOUTH to keep it shut.. .

I was going to say Strike CNC should be commended for putting it right but won't because it should have been right first time round but they did show the mark of a good company and did the right thing eventually.!! . . . Anyway I'm just happy for Ant that he's almost back on track and Hopefully he'll be making nasty MDF dust by the end of Wed.!! . . . .Well maybe friday he'll be punchng holes in the bed and crashing the limits for the first few days I'm sure. . . . (Not that I've done that EVER. .:whistling:)

Nice to see a happy boy:dance:Now go and build some gorgeous cabinets.

The company building mine has gone on strike. But i will be back to work soon.

Bruce
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

Quote Originally Posted by motoxy View Post
    Nice to see a happy boy:dance:Now go and build some gorgeous cabinets.

The company building mine has gone on strike. But i will be back to work soon.

Bruce
    Sack the Lazy Bastard.!!:wave:

(Eh LEE where's the kick in the nut's Smillie gone.????? I liked kick in the nuts.!! . . (Ermmm sounds bit wrong that don't it, but ya know what mean!!.))

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I liked kick in the nuts.!!
    Happy to oblige if required!:rofl:
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread Information