. .
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    OK here's some shots of the problems with Strikes replacement Gantry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120712_070437.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	6333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120712_070742.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	6334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120712_071038.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	6335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120712_071207.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	6336  
    Last edited by Shinobiwan; 13-07-2012 at 07:12 PM.

At this point I'm going to re-design the Z plate and then pay someone on here to cut the part.

I don't have many regrets in life but not building my own machine is now one of them.
    Last edited by Shinobiwan; 13-07-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Btw is it essential to have the ballscrew floating end mount on? The bearing is damaged and I figure it isn't really needed for such a short ballscrew since its supported at the fixed end and the ballnut?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post
    Btw is it essential to have the ballscrew floating end mount on? The bearing is damaged and I figure it isn't really needed for such a short ballscrew since its supported at the fixed end and the ballnut?
    Probably not.
    The support bearings purpose in life is to support long screws from bending under thier own weight, and/or to stop screws from whipping when spun at speed.
    If the screw is short enough/not spun fast enough that whipping is going to be an issue, and it's not long enough/mounted in a way it's own weight could bend it (i.e. hung vertically), then you don't need one.

I'm sure Jonathan will be along shortly with the required calcs for working out the theoretical critical/whipping speed (or just search for his posts, as he's covered it before)

Agree with what m_c said. You can find the formula he suggested by searching for screw critical speed on google, but assuming the ballscrew is 350mm long the critical speed is 3500rpm - so 3500*5=17.5m/min. The formula isn't that accurate, but that's a huge amount more than you'll ever get on the Z-axis so you're fine to run it. It's <£2 for the bearing you need on eBay, so it's not much loss to get a new one, not that you should have to pay for it anyway.

This thread is the first result on Google for 'Strike CNC', so I wonder how long it will be until they re-brand!

I doubt they will go out of business soon, as it's so easy for these companies to blatantly lie about their products:

http://strikecncrouters.com/page2.htm
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

7. If you want a critical speed calculator, i use this one.
    http://www.nookindustries.com/ball/BallCalculators.cfm

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Agree with what m_c said. You can find the formula he suggested by searching for screw critical speed on google, but assuming the ballscrew is 350mm long the critical speed is 3500rpm - so 3500*5=17.5m/min. The formula isn't that accurate, but that's a huge amount more than you'll ever get on the Z-axis so you're fine to run it. It's <£2 for the bearing you need on eBay, so it's not much loss to get a new one, not that you should have to pay for it anyway.

This thread is the first result on Google for 'Strike CNC', so I wonder how long it will be until they re-brand!

I doubt they will go out of business soon, as it's so easy for these companies to blatantly lie about their products:

http://strikecncrouters.com/page2.htm
    Not to worry Jonathan. If you lay too many bad eggs eventually it'll make a stink.

I'm not the only unhappy customer

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/europe...nc_please.html

In particular this comment from that customer rings very true:

"On receiving my machine (the eBay service was great!), I found that the build quality was terrible....really terrible. Basically, I have completely rebuilt the machine, adding a host of parts that I made to strengthen and support the various axes. Most of the extrusions and support rails were not bolted correctly and the stepper motor mounts looked like they'd been chewed instead of machined!

However, I found that the price paid was actually not that bad, when used as a basis for a new machine, but you would most definitely need to at leat check the build quality or better still, strip it down completely."

Go on Ant sock it to em.!!. . . . . Show the full length movie.! . .Lmao

You mean this one mate?

That's the first attempt Strike had at my Gantry. Only a bit of play there in the Z axis!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post
    You mean this one mate?

That's the first attempt Strike had at my Gantry. Only a bit of play there in the Z axis!
    Ye thats the one.!!. . . The one with the gantry made from 6 pieces of 30x30 light extrusion with a single bolt thru the centre to hold together.!!

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information