. .
    I know that as soon as some one tells me I will say DOH!. What are the steps to take in cambam to produce this flange. I cannot see how to m/c away the material for the flange and leave the bosses. I realise that the panic is setting in as this could be a sign of stupid questions to come.

btw build news soon.

Bruce

I am using the free one at the moment, trying to preserve whats left of my 40 tries.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boss.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	5312  
    Last edited by motoxy; 08-02-2012 at 09:23 PM.
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

I dont use Cambam but this should work in most programs.!!

Extract the edges if 3D model (or just use lines if 2D) then Offset the outer profile more than your tool Dia then select the 3 circles and offset outer profile and pocket it away. Then finish off with a outer profile pass.

Well i dont know. I have tried and failed so i tried in cut 2d and failed. possibly its the way its drawn.

I will stand in the corner and later try again.

Bruce

Ok here's how it would be done in Bobcad.
    Either draw the 2D circles/lines etc or extract the edges from 3D model. Here i've just quckly drawn it.

Then choose the outer profile shape (pink, turquise lines), you may have to break the circles where they meet the lines, then offset them out the just a bit more than the diameter of cutting tool to create a boundry. In the pic the result of off setting is the Blue dotted line.

Then all you do is choose the 3 circles (green & turquise lines) and the offset profile shape (blue dotted line) as the geometery for the pocket. This will then cut away all the material around the circles and upto the outer profile boundry. (Yellow lines pic 2)

Then to cut the actuall part just choose a profiling or contouring toolpath and use the profile shape geometry (pink,turquise lines) setting the tool compensation to the out side. (Yellow lines pic 3)

The red holes (red pic 2, green pic1 ) can be either drilled or pocketed.

See pics of geometry and actual toolpaths. (Yellow lines)

This is done in Bobcad Cam but same principle should work in most softwares.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 09-02-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Cock up

ha! Got it. It was the offsetting of the profile to make the bosses as islands that had me phlumaxed. What a useful technique. Thanks for that Jazz. I will sleep easy tonight.

Bruce

Thread Information