. .

Thread: 6040 router

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So as not to detract from the 3040 router thread I'll start a new one.

Anyone bought a 6040 from the Chinese Portsmouth guys ?

These are a different animal from the 3040, obviously more expensive but they have the water cooled spindle, VFD and supported rails.
    John S -

Bump this up to the top.

Seem good value for money unless someone fancies building me one to the same specs for less ?
    John S -

3. Okay John,

What gives? That is unsupported round rail on the Y axis (also Z but so short travel that it does not really matter) that is covered by a plate in front and a sheet metal stamping in the back. It is running the 1.5Kw water cooled spindle which from what I know of your work would have to be upgraded to something bigger then a ER11 collet. I can not tell what the X axis is but from their info is most likely unsupported round rail or bearings running on milled surface of some sort as I seriously doubt to find precession rails on this machine.

Just my two cents and observation of the machine from pictures.

Michael

4. Thanks for the info Chip

5. I have a 6040, obviously not bought of the bloke in Portsmouth, but from Hong Kong for about the same price.
    While the design may not be perfect, you'd be hard pressed to buy the parts necessary to build one for the price they're asking.
    Mechanically mine was fine but did have a dead X axis driver board. I can get a replacement for it quite cheaply but at a rediculouse shipping cost.
    Going to use a Gecko G540 as the controller.

BTW, It has a .8KW spindle, not the 1.5KW
    Last edited by tumutbound; 03-10-2012 at 12:33 AM.
    Regards
    Geoff
    My home

On a slightly tangential tack .....does anyone know what those plugs are called that they use for plugging the motors into the control box ...I bought a pneumatic air dispenser from chine & it uses a 3 pin version - I'd like to order one up to plug in a relay board vs the footswitch it came with.Tangential

Spindle will be fine for me, I'm using a 0.8kw air cooled on the 300 x 300 Isel router I have at the moment. I have a spare 2.2kw water cooled spindle but that's over kill.
    My main use of this will be larger engravings and getting more than one piece on the bed at a given time. Over the next two years I have 1500 makers plates at 150mm diameter with a shed load of text and logo's on them to be called off monthly.
    The Isel works fine but it's the only router I own, nice to have a backup.

I had spotted the unsupported rails on the Y and with a small spindle they are probably fine but even an upgrade to supported rails will only be 40 odd quid or so and I'm geared to any alterations.

Thanks Geoff for your views, given the price I don't mind the odd hiccup, I keep drivers in stock anyway so if one went I'd replace the lot with something I know and have pluggable spares.
    John S -

8. John thanks for the information and also Geoff as that clears up a bit. I have some folks back in the US that are using bearings on ground rail (grey iron basically) to do the job of the round rail and they say that they are getting good enough precession for the work they do with it (cabinet and one off pieces for themselves and clients/family/friends). So for some one looking for a basic machine with a reasonable spindle and only need to worry about changing out the driver boards this looks like something to get going with.

Need to set up a design of what they are using and let you folks look at it as it is interesting.

Michael

I wish the Chinese would catch on with these mass produced CNC machines ...it's a chore for the average bloke in a shed to fit homing & limit switches after buying the machine - you'd think they'd have that covered off by now! Some of the control boxes I've seen for the 3040s at least have sockets to plug your self procured/fit switches into, but this is one of the control boxes that doesn't....not insurmountable, but really....tsk, tsk

From a newbie to CNC but not buying equipment from China, must admit to being very pleased so far with my 3040.

Bit like dealing with clients , its a case of expectation management, did a lot of reading of threads here and on cnczone and watching youtube videos.

So before it arrived , had some expectation of shipping damage, seller obviously learning that one , have enough polythene foam to practice foam cutting till next decade.

Aware that the drive electronics are almost disposable, air cooled spindle drive is basic and the stepper drives are apparently suicidal.

Spindle is a `refurb` and may last forever or till next week.

Previous experience of Chinese vendors has to be honest been very good, delivery often faster than a UK based supplier and Chinese sense of honour has meant they have looked after problems well, dealt with more shady Euro vendors than Chinese ones, but very interested to see how poster with ill spindle is looked after.

With a burning interest in learning more about CAM and a limited budget, Chinese vendors have made starting out possible for me. Alternatives at the sub 1000 GBP level would have been a secondhand Roland PNC engraver, really don`t think they will cut alloy no matter how much time have to wait ;-)

Interest , at least intially, is what can it make rather than how it is made, shortage of time, skills and tooling made self build first off not even worth considering.

Don`t think these machines are taking work away from manufacturers or operators of bigger machines either, quite the opposite, ability to develop and test prototype and very short run parts myself means can find what will work in the market for me, when need more than proto or very short runs will be popping up in the RFQ section looking for someone with a bigger machine to make them.

Orginally started posting to say the connectors used on the Yoo CNC boxes are CB microphone connectors;

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/plugs+c...-mic-plugs.htm

Cheers
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information