. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm looking for a G-code editor that provides help/hints for G- and M-codes, in the way AutoEditNC does. Unfortunately the only version of AutoEditNC available for download is 3.0beta, which is unfinished and bug-ridden, so of little use.

Does anyone know of an editor with similar features? Doesn't have to be free, though preferred if it is (CNC is just a hobby for me).

Rgds, Daniel

Crap.
    You don't buy it you rent it, needs internet connection to work and you have to install loads of Adobe virus's to get it to work.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Crap.
    You don't buy it you rent it, needs internet connection to work and you have to install loads of Adobe virus's to get it to work.
    All good points but I'm just using the Beta test and have been doing for several months... when that ends there are ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Jonathan,

I had a look at their website, and it sure didn't sound like a G-code editor – sounds more like a fancy CNC calculator! Indeed, I've seen it described as: "G-Wizard, the CNC Machinist's Calculator".

Am I wrong?

Rgds, Daniel

If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by DanielF View Post
    Jonathan,

I had a look at their website, and it sure didn't sound like a G-code editor – sounds more like a fancy CNC calculator! Indeed, I've seen it described as: "G-Wizard, the CNC Machinist's Calculator".

Am I wrong?

Rgds, Daniel
    Yes your right about G-wizzard but there's a G-code editor that you can join Beta test but to be honest I'm not having much joy with it, it's slow and locking up all the time. Still needs much work.!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    Thanks 2e0poz, but it sounds like no-one here has ever tried AutoEditNC!

It's not just a code editor – there are dozens of free ones (like Notepad++), and I have a few "programmer's editors" already (Crimson Editor is my favourite). The feature that distinguishes AutoEditNC is its G/M-code 'hint' facility. You click on the G or M button, and from the list of available codes, select the one you want to use. It then presents a pop-up window with the syntax for that code (and often an explanatory diagram), including its arguments (if any) and an explanation of exactly what it does. You can then edit those arguments in the pop-up, click the 'Add this command' button, and that command, with arguments, is added to your file at the cursor insertion point. (You can also click the 'Add..' button without editing the arguments, and edit the defaults it provides, within your code file.)

This is a great help for an occasional programmer like me, who (because I do it so infrequently) can never remember the argument details for the more complex commands without referring to a quick-reference sheet or similar.

If only AutoEditNC worked properly, it would be ideal. So I'm looking for a similar editor with a similar 'hints' feature, that works reliably.

Anyone seen one??

Rgds, Daniel

Daniel,
    There probably isn't another one as it's a very niche market.
    Remember as you become more proficient at editing / coding the need for the hints reduces. Also as software is getting better / cheaper as regards features verus price, once you have a decent post processor setup for that program the need to edit programs goes away.

I did a training day last year where at the start one of the items brought up by two of the guys was they had been told you could not run a machine without knowing G code.
    I went from design to cut part on a Sieg KX3 machine, a con rod actually, with a piece of paper over the G Code window in Mach.
    It was only after the part was cut and the paper removed that anyone saw the code that had produced the part.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by DanielF View Post
    Thanks 2e0poz, but it sounds like no-one here has ever tried AutoEditNC!

It's not just a code editor – there are dozens of free ones (like Notepad++), and I have a few "programmer's editors" already (Crimson Editor is my favourite). The feature that distinguishes AutoEditNC is its G/M-code 'hint' facility. You click on the G or M button, and from the list of available codes, select the one you want to use. It then presents a pop-up window with the syntax for that code (and often an explanatory diagram), including its arguments (if any) and an explanation of exactly what it does. You can then edit those arguments in the pop-up, click the 'Add this command' button, and that command, with arguments, is added to your file at the cursor insertion point. (You can also click the 'Add..' button without editing the arguments, and edit the defaults it provides, within your code file.)

This is a great help for an occasional programmer like me, who (because I do it so infrequently) can never remember the argument details for the more complex commands without referring to a quick-reference sheet or similar.

If only AutoEditNC worked properly, it would be ideal. So I'm looking for a similar editor with a similar 'hints' feature, that works reliably.

Anyone seen one??

Rgds, Daniel
    Yes Daniel the G-wizzard editor/backplot works pritty much the same, theres a list of G -M codes with all the param's and you just insert. It doesn't let you enter param's on this screen but does after it's been inserted,it also checks the formats correct and highlights red if error, green ok. I will suggest they add a box so param's can be entered on list screen,this would be usefull edition.

It's still a work in progress and running very very slow on my system, which hisn't slow it's an i7 Laptop with 12GB so it must be software issue or it just don't like my system.?

The only down side like John S says is the fact it installs Adobe shite and it has to phone home else it won't work. . . .Oh and when it's released you'll still have to buy/rent it.

Worth a look thou because I dont know of anything else that comes near.!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information